Go Down

Topic: Uno Versus Mega 2560 (Read 92 times) previous topic - next topic

NewbyAT

Hi all I'm a newby to all this, the problem I have is trying to get a GPS6MV2 working with a Mega 2560,
I have connected the gps unit to my Uno board and it works fine, when I connect it to the Mega it does not work, the RX led on the board is flashing but it is so dim, yet on the uno it's fine, does the signal need boosting, if so how? I've tried a signal leveler but that makes it worse.   

Robin2

Perhaps you might consider posting your program(s) and wiring diagram(s) ?

Our crystal balls are a bit cloudy this week.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Wawa

An Uno does not have any spare Serial ports for the TX/RX pins of that GPS,
so the code for an Uno contains some lines to create those ports in software (SoftwareSerial).

A Mega has three spare Serial ports, so does not need SoftwareSerial.
The SoftwareSerial lines must be replaced by the name of the ports you connect the GPS to.
That could be Serial1.

Post the code (with code tags) if you need help with that.
Leo..

UKHeliBob

does the signal need boosting,
No.  If it works on the Uno then it should work on the Mega.  Check your wiring then check it again.  Have you got Tx/Rx connected the right way round and 5V and GND connected correctly to the GPS unit ?

As has been suggested you do not actually need to use SoftwarSerial on the Mega but it should still work on pins 4 and 3 as in the sketch.
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

NewbyAT

Thanks for the response, I've sorted the problem out thanks to Wawa, the problem as you stated was in the program, I changed the code from SofwareSerial to Serial1, it works fine

Thanks again

UKHeliBob

OK, it works, which is good news.  Personally I would still want to know why it didn't work with SoftSerial
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Nick_Pyner

Indeed. Using software serial on a Mega is dumb in principle, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I think something else is going on.

Go Up