Go Down

Topic: How long is the slow boat from China? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Jul 15, 2019, 07:22 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2019, 07:24 pm by Robin2
I ordered a small CNC router on Ebay on 16 June believing it to be in Edinburgh so it would arrive in 3 to 4 days max. I was told it was dispatched on 18 June. It still has not arrived and I presume it is actually coming from China. First it was going to be with me after 16 to 18 days and the most recent advice was tomorrow at the latest. Of course it might come tomorrow, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

What is a reasonable length of time for something coming all the way from China to the UK?  Or, put another way, when should I give up and just order another one from a reliable supplier and start the process to get my money back?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

larryd

Jul 15, 2019, 10:21 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2019, 10:45 pm by larryd
Our Ebay slow boats from China, to central Canada, take 1.5 to 2 months.

However, I am convinced that customs is 2 Weeks of that.

Only had 2 out of ~50 orders that did not arrive.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

MAS3

How long is the slow boat from China?
These days they're about 400 meters long.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

larryd

There are the two orders that weren't delivered last year.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

TomGeorge

Hi,
Did the eBay seller have a table at the end of the eBay page for that item, showing expected delivery times?

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Robin2

Jul 15, 2019, 11:39 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2019, 11:41 pm by Robin2
Did the eBay seller have a table at the end of the eBay page for that item, showing expected delivery times?
Unfortunately I did not keep a copy but I originally thought it was 2 days delivery - which would have been appropriate for an item in Edinburgh. However the confirmation email said it was due on 02 July and it is possible I made a mistake. Then on 3 July I was told it would be here at latest in 13 days - which is tomorrow.

And I am having it delivered "click and collect" to an Argos store and their system shows it due on 20 June.

The seller has responded to all my messages but has not actually provided any useful information. I'm half inclined to think the parcel is lost and he is just hoping it will turn up so he doesn't have to refund my money.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

Robin2

Google "Panamax dimensions"
I deliberately wrote a title to allow scope for the pranksters to have some fun.

However it is a serious question - can you help with your experience of the time deliveries take?

...R

Robin2

The latest from my Ebay "supplier" is that I will have my router "soon". And still no explanation for the delay.

For all I know that means "never". And if it is "never" I want to order another one from a reliable supplier. But I don't want to order another one and then find myself with two of them if I am being unreasonably impatient.

I have the impression that lots of Forum members have bought stuff from China and I would love to get some idea about how much time I should allow before concluding that my router is not going to arrive.

...R

groundFungus

The first time that I ordered a 3D printer I waited for a month then contacted the seller.  They said that it was in California and should be here soon.  The shipment had no tracking from my end.  Two more weeks and I contacted the seller again.  Tracking said still in CA.  They refunded my money and I promised to contact them to return it if it ever arrived.  It never did.  I ended up getting a better printer for less money, so it did eventually work out.

I would say to give it a bit more time and if it still doesn't make it, get a refund.

ChrisTenone

I ordered some op-amp chips from China on ebay, and they took a week to get here. I ordered a hundred 3D glasses, and they also took a week. I ordered some children's toy trucks, and they took 3 weeks, as was stated in the ad. I ordered a leather camera case, and it never arrived, the company apologized and refunded no questions.

I haven't had the shipping run-around. I imagine if I did I would lose patience right away, and cancel after the initial shipping period had passed.
What, I need to say something else too?

ChrisTenone

Oh, and I regularly order from DFRobot. I get stuff from them in days. I suspect they have a warehouse in the States.
What, I need to say something else too?

Robin2

Jul 26, 2019, 09:37 am Last Edit: Jul 26, 2019, 09:40 am by Robin2
I got tired waiting so I ordered another mini router (from an Amazon supplier) on Wednesday and it arrived yesterday less than 24 hours later.

Now comes the fun of getting a refund for the first one.

...R

ballscrewbob

Almost given up on EBay and am pretty much exclusive AliExpress buyer now.
Money held in ESCROW seems to bring about quicker deliveries than EBay and more reliable too.
Add to that the cost savings which can be up to a third over EBay.

Don't know why it took me so long to make the switch.

Amazon if just waaay to over priced for me so it has to be pretty special or a dire rush if I use them.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Almost given up on EBay and am pretty much exclusive AliExpress buyer now.
That's fine if you are happy to buy from China.

In this case I deliberately chose to buy something that was advertised as already in the UK.

...R

Go Up