Go Down

Topic: Moving Linear Actuator (Read 180 times) previous topic - next topic

flipper13

I have never used an arduino before. I was wondering how i could program it to move a linear actuator open and closed indefinitely until i stop it. On a cycle.

Thanks

Paul_KD7HB

With no more information than you have given, you can't do it.

flipper13

I would use a 12 volt actuator. What else would you need to know?

Paul_KD7HB

I would use a 12 volt actuator. What else would you need to know?

Well, a data sheet would tell whether it was reversible and if the device supplied a position signal and if the device has limit switches and how they work. And if the device is controlled by a pulse signal or is powered by a regular 12 volt motor. And it would tell if your 12 volt was DC or AC.

Paul

flipper13

Jul 19, 2019, 10:11 pm Last Edit: Jul 19, 2019, 11:05 pm by flipper13
I was thinking of getting this one:

https://www.progressiveautomations.ca/products/mini-track-actuator?variant=19694943731799

this is the one!

JCA34F

Of course the Amazon page gives not a clue as to how much current is required or whether it has position feedback or end limit switches. If operating force is 750 Newtons (76.5 kilograms force or 169 pounds force) at 10mm per seconds, that's about 7.5 Watts mechanical power, if efficiency is 50%, electrical power would be about 15 Watts and current at 12V about  1.25 Amps. I would design for 2.5 Amps. You could use an H-bridge motor driver board rated 2.5 Amps or greater  to start / stop / reverse, but you would need to install limit switches or a current sensing / limiting device to prevent running into the end stops and damaging something.

https://www.amazon.ca/150-700mm-Multiple-Actuator-Electric-Bracket/dp/B07GXGNL3S/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=linear%2Bactuator&qid=1563566667&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&th=1

johnwasser

The datasheet (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2134/8037/files/Mini_Track_Actuator_PA-08.pdf?1873) says that the limit switches and feedback resistor are "optional".  The rated "full-load current" is 5 Amps but the stall current could be higher.

Once you figure out how to add the limit switch or resistor feedback options we can help with interface.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

jmanatee

You could use a dual relay board and if you get a actuator with feedback you can have the Arduino check its position and reverse it before it bottoms  out or anywhere along the way.

lastchancename

Jul 21, 2019, 02:32 am Last Edit: Jul 21, 2019, 02:33 am by lastchancename
This is a bit strange...

The feedback resolution changes with a longer stroke.
At 40-inches, 10 turns gives 1 turn per 4-inches...
If the potentiometer resolution is 10% of a turn - linear resolution is 0.25-inches - a bit sloppy

Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

TomGeorge

Jul 21, 2019, 05:18 am Last Edit: Jul 21, 2019, 05:18 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
From specs, limit switches are fitted, but not adjustable, so they only work at ends of max and min travel.

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

wvmarle

If the potentiometer resolution is 10% of a turn - linear resolution is 0.25-inches - a bit sloppy
It'll be a lot better than that. You mix up tolerance (of the total 10k value) with overall linearity of the pot.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

lastchancename

Jul 22, 2019, 05:06 am Last Edit: Jul 22, 2019, 05:07 am by lastchancename
Yeah, that (10% of a turn) was a worst case wet-finger guess, but a lot less than it could be when driven both directions and allowing for mechanical lash.
Of course that error is proportionally less on the shorter actuators
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

Go Up