Go Down

Topic: Firmware upgrade for UBLOX SARA-R410M-02B on the MKR NB 1500 (Read 7580 times) previous topic - next topic

scouter9000

Thanks for that Icole. I used the procedure documented by zbelding in this thread at the top of this page. The whole process is a bit quirky but I had no issues getting the firmware loaded, soldering a usb cable hopefully shouldn't be necessary.

icole

I found the instructions by zbelding you referenced, had missed them before.  Should be able to do the upgrade now.  Will boot my Windows VM and install Extra Putty.  Been trying to get something similar working on Linux but having some problems with stuff missing between my ears.

zbelding

Important note:

With the new firmware, depending on which network profile you select with +UMNOPROF, power save mode(PSM) may be turned on by default. See section (B.5) of the AT manual. This is important to note, because if CPSMS or CEDRXS are turned on, the modem will enter PSM after so many seconds of inactivity. When in this state, the modem will be completely unresponsive. The only way out of it is to toggle the pwr_on pin of the SARA R4. I do not think the arduino library will do this...

You can turn off CPSMS and CEDRXS after the profile is selected. See AT Manual.

omaranwar

I would like to add one little detail to instructions between step 10 and 11 for stg0 files i.e.

"10. After complete, send AT+UFWINSTALL
11. After OK, send AT+UFWSTATUS?"

Before sending "AT+UFWSTATUS?", if you wait for like 10 seconds, you have a better chance of it completing without any error. I have updated the firmware on 6 of my kits, with 2 more to go. This is what I have observed, may just be a coincidence.

zbelding

I would like to add one little detail to instructions between step 10 and 11 for stg0 files i.e.

"10. After complete, send AT+UFWINSTALL
11. After OK, send AT+UFWSTATUS?"

Before sending "AT+UFWSTATUS?", if you wait for like 10 seconds, you have a better chance of it completing without any error. I have updated the firmware on 6 of my kits, with 2 more to go. This is what I have observed, may just be a coincidence.
Thank you for your suggestion. I have edited the post with the steps and added a 10.5 step to reflect this.

philipdbrown

Thanks for all the hard work here.  I'm going to ask a rookie question to get me started.  I have seen the post about the steps and which new firmware to choose.  However, how do I know what the current firmware is?  I've been digging and can't find anything.

zbelding

Thanks for all the hard work here.  I'm going to ask a rookie question to get me started.  I have seen the post about the steps and which new firmware to choose.  However, how do I know what the current firmware is?  I've been digging and can't find anything.
Sending the command ATI9 should give you this information. You can use the pass-through sketch.

marcu5au

Hi, this might be useful to someone else.
I also couldn't update the firmware on my Arduino MKR NB 1500 unit and was about to give up.

I was trying the instruction to a tee as posted by zbelding which are per the notes in the README files in the firmware download files (posted earlier in this thread).

After getting really annoyed and not caring how things would turn out I skipped uploading the stg1_pkg* files and simply uploaded the stg2 file "0bb_stg2_L56A0200_to_L58A0204.bin" in my case, waited 25 mins and then did the ati9 command and sure enough it worked. :) I can't guarantee this for anyone but it worked for me. The correct firmware version displays in m-center.exe and I have since uploaded a sketch and it is working as expected.

With the Package set #0 stg1_* files (i.e. stg1_pkg1, stg1_pkg2, stg1_pkg3) I was getting 55457272, 19a, ffe3 error no matter what.

With the Package set #1 and Package set #2 files I was getting 55457272, 19a, ffed error.

My device is about one week old with roughly 50 sketch writes to it at time of firmware updating.

Few lessons learnt so far with this device also:

1. Make sure you are using the correct files per those earlier download links that suits your current firmware: L0506A0200-to-L0508A0204 OR  L0506A0201-to-L0508A0204. My initial firmware was L0.0.00.00.05.06,A.02.00 which meant I had to use the L0506A0200-to-L0508A0204 package.

2. SSL and these devices is real touchy! I am trying to send a HTTP POST with JSON payload (over port 443) to the api.powerbi.com endpoint and it doesn't work. Having done quite some digging on the internet, testing with Postman etc. etc. - it's clear I am not the only one. My gut feeling says the Microsoft CA needs to be added here though of which *might* fix it: https://github.com/arduino-libraries/MKRNB/blob/master/src/utility/NBRootCerts.h I don't know how to do this though :/

3. Have a battery connected - these devices are just unreliable without it I am finding. I am using USB3 as a power source also and still having issues without a battery.

4.For anyone in Australia, I am using a SIM from ALDI on a data plan. ALDI is Telstra mobile under the hood and everything works fine.

With the newer firmware, I haven't really seen any improvements that have helped me directly. I am sure they're there though. I did this process with some hope that maybe my SSL issue would just go away! :)

marcu5au

To the above, here is the firmware Before(left) and After(right) image for me attached.

zbelding

A new firmware version has been released for this modem. Here are the details:

https://www.u-blox.com/en/docs/UBX-20033274

I have tested, and it seems to have solved the modem lock-up issues I have been battling for a while.

The new firmware(A.02.16) is installed in a very similar manner to the last update(A.02.04). It looks to me that A.02.04 needs to be installed before A.02.16.

The firmware is available from ublox by email.

tradexsrl

Hi , got another mkr nb 1500 from arduino store which comes with their antenna , inserted a vodafone m2m sim card that works ok within an iphone , loaded sample sketch nbscannetworks but it doesn't find any networks..
i load also sara pass through sketch and use ublox mcenter , i was able to connect to the modem and do the scan but again no any networks...
firmware is the stock one which is very old: 05.06.a.02.00
tried also to setup AT+URAT=7 and select the profile 0 and 1 but it doesn't change nothing....
did you manage to connect this board to a network or not?

patoberli

Thanks, the upgrade manual by @zbelding worked fine.
First you need to update to the 2.04 release, afterwards you can upgrade to the new 2.16, with exactly the same commands and by using the new files in the new download.

icole

How do you get the new firmware?  I don't find at the link above.  Thanks.

zbelding

The link above(which is now dead) was not a download link for the firmware, it was just release notes about the new firmware. Firmware can be obtained via email from ublox support.

Go Up