Go Down

Topic: Ghosting effect with 4x4x4 LED-Cube (Read 2398 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

A few cheap meter combines continuity and diode test, usually with a fairly bad result.
More than "a few" actually!  Most that do not auto-range.

Exception:

Different again!

My question would be if that might be a sign for some error in my soldering or if the capacitors are just leaking current.
The capacitors will not be leaking current.  If you put your fingers across them, that will leak current.  And of course each time you swap the polarity applied to the capacitor it will draw current as it discharges and charges again.

More than "a few" actually!  Most that do not auto-range.
I believe that is correct, with manual range the positions on the rotary switch are needed for other ranges. The value shown on the display is usually neither volt or ohm (Aneng V7 is smarter).

Just_some_dude

The capacitors will not be leaking current.  If you put your fingers across them, that will leak current.  And of course each time you swap the polarity applied to the capacitor it will draw current as it discharges and charges again.
Well in my case something is leaking when connecting ground and VCC with my LED, and not touching anything with my hands. Guess I need to redo the board completely to eliminate that error.

Just_some_dude

Hey guys :)

I just wanted to give an update. I recently soldered the circuit onto a perfboard to check if the breadboard was causing any problems. I didn't solder the MOSFETs onto the perfboard yet, so that I could switch them out, to see if different ones make a difference.

When testing my perfboard, I noticed that the ghosting effect was just as present as with the breadboard.  ::)

But I finally got some different MOSFETs and tested them:

-The initial IRL540Ns still had the ghosting effect.
-New IRL540Ns (from a different seller) had the same result as the other FETs I tested (IRLR7843, IRLZ44N). They minimized the effect down to a point where I would say that it is acceptable and not really noticeable anymore. I could use this for my 8x8x8 project in the future. It is not perfect, but good enough.
-The BJTs I tested (BC337, 2N2222) still did the best job because the effect was the least visible when using them.

Go Up