Go Down

Topic: DevStyle splash screen (Read 859 times) previous topic - next topic

Delta_G

I use Eclipse to do most all of my own coding.  I use a plugin called DevStyle that I use to setup custom colors and such so I can have a nice dark background with context specific coloring the way I want.

It's got a splash screen that has like a quote of the instance kind of thing that's different each time you open it.  Some of them are pretty cool:

Today was "Code tests are the stories of failure that we tell to the next generation"

Or something to that effect. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

pert

Some of my unit tests certainly have associated bittersweet memories. I love that feeling when finishing writing the test: "well, finding that bug was a huge pain, but it can never bite me again now". I really need to get set up with a unit testing system for Arduino. There are a couple options but nothing has grabbed my attention yet.

Delta_G

Aug 09, 2019, 06:44 am Last Edit: Aug 18, 2019, 08:07 pm by Delta_G
"There are only two industries that refer to their customers as 'users'."

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

AWOL

"There are only two industries that refer to their customers as 'users'."
:D

Delta_G

Aug 18, 2019, 05:33 am Last Edit: Aug 18, 2019, 08:06 pm by Delta_G
"First solve the problem.  Then write the code"
"One man's prototype is a manager's product"

Robin2

"First solve the problem.  Then write the code"
Amen to that!

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Delta_G

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Romonaga

Some of my unit tests certainly have associated bittersweet memories. I love that feeling when finishing writing the test: "well, finding that bug was a huge pain, but it can never bite me again now". I really need to get set up with a unit testing system for Arduino. There are a couple options but nothing has grabbed my attention yet.
I get to much of that crap at work, at home I prefer winging it without the formal methodology. 

No QA people testing odd edge cases.
No BA up my butt.

No convoluted deployment process.

Yep, so much more fun.

pert

Each to their own definition of "fun" I suppose.

But I do somewhat see what you mean. It is fun to just get right down to the programming and get the gratification of seeing it make some hardware do something real. I certainly have had times where I spent more time writing unit tests and setting up the CI system than I did on writing the actual code for a project (not to mention the time spent writing documentation). I think one factor is the intended user for a project. If you are making something that's intended for other people to use, then you do need to think about those edge cases. It's guaranteed someone is going to manage to create those edge conditions and then you're going to spend more time on support than you would have spent setting up the testing framework to prevent that situation. If you are doing a project solely for yourself then there is a better chance that you'll know how to use the thing in a way that is not likely to trigger bugs and so you might get away with the code being less resilient to the "murphy factor".

Robin2

If you are making something that's intended for other people to use, then you do need to think about those edge cases.
Several times I have shown some new program to a friend of mine who is very intelligent but not interested in computers and each time he has done something within 2 minutes that has broken the program.

What he did was perfectly reasonable, it was just something it would never have occurred to me to do.

Maybe, as the author, I subconsciously knew not to do that thing?

You can't make anything foolproof because fools are too clever.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Henry_Best

Several times I have shown some new program to a friend of mine who is very intelligent but not interested in computers and each time he has done something within 2 minutes that has broken the program.

What he did was perfectly reasonable, it was just something it would never have occurred to me to do.

Maybe, as the author, I subconsciously knew not to do that thing?

You can't make anything foolproof because fools are too clever.
"I thought I'd made it foolproof........ until a fully qualified fool came along."

Delta_G

Aug 25, 2019, 06:48 am Last Edit: Aug 25, 2019, 06:48 am by Delta_G
"If the code and the comment don't match then both are probably wrong"
They owe PaulS royalties on that one I think. 

Delta_G

"Deleted code is debugged code."

Go Up