Go Down

Topic: Separate power supply for shift register (Read 269 times) previous topic - next topic

Rafael_Messina

Hi everyone.

In my project i need more than 50 shift registers (74HC595) and I want to know if I can connect all the SER (Serial Input), SRCLK (Shift Register Clock), RCLK (Register Clock / Latch), SRCLR (Shift Register Clear) and OE (Output Enable) to Arduino and use a separete 5V 4A power supply for shift registers GND and VCC.

Paul__B

Very strong smell of an XY problem here.  :smiley-eek:

There are problems here to be solved, but first explain precisely what you propose to do with more than 50 74HC595 shift registers?  :smiley-roll:

Grumpy_Mike

and I want to know if I can connect all the SER (Serial Input), SRCLK (Shift Register Clock), RCLK (Register Clock / Latch), SRCLR (Shift Register Clear) and OE (Output Enable) to Arduino
That is not how you wire a a bunch of shift registers. Some of those pins like the latch pin need to all connect to the Arduino, where as others like the serial in are not.

Chaining together 50 shift registers is not a simple matter. Each one needs a decoupling capacitor on it and the lines that all need connecting to the Arduino needs buffering.

Yes you can use a separate power supply but you have to connect the ground of this the the ground of the Arduino.

Go Up