Go Down

Topic: MIDI Controlled VCA for guitar... (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

PieterP

Very interesting product!
Do note that it has low-impedance line inputs, not instrument inputs. You could use a DI box for your guitar and then plug it into this device.

If they don't have new stock soon, you could relatively easily create your own.
Looking at the schematic, it's basically an I²S ADC/DAC chip and an STM32 as a DSP in between.

You can get the same thing by using a Teensy 3.x, an I²S ADC/DAC chip. Axoloty uses an ADAU1961, but there are many similar chips. Teensy has great audio support, so you can add not only volume control, but also effects, audio over USB, 5-pin DIN MIDI, USB MIDI, etc.
See the Teensy Audio library, programming is going to be relatively simple.

Do note that this is a digital solution, and you'll probably lose some quality, because it's only 16-bit at 44.1kHz (although the ADC/DAC will probably support rate conversions). However, as long as you watch your levels, the low bit depth shouldn't matter, and you probably won't really hear a clear difference anyway.

I think the possibility to implement your own effects far outweighs the audio quality concerns, it could be a lot of fun.

MountainCraft

I'm going to keep the Axoloti in mind for future as my Pedalboard is currently based around a GP-10 synth pedal and and MS-3 so it will fit right in (could just plug the thing into one of the MS-3 loops), but I have decided to go with a LINE 6 M5 MFX pedal..

It has a 5 pin MIDI DIN connector, responds to #CC messages to control any parameter in the thing, has the awesome LINE 6 sound quality, and it's only $150..  This way I get a MFX solution on the way to the amp too.. When not using the amp and just going direct to Mixer, I can use the thing in an MS-3 loop to insert it into the existing FX chain....

This is a great solution for me.. Gonna download the manual and 'make sure' it will do what I need and then pull the trigger..

I'll eventually find a purpose for the Arudinos I bought that isn't so 'over my head' for a beginner.. I haven't even looked into a Arduino based security system I was thinking about using it for when I first bought the thing..

All the usual commercially based systems are designed to work with cellular service, and we don't have any here where I live, so I wanted to create something with an autodialer that would contact my neighbors with a prerecorded message, or even have capability to transmit over my HAM radio..

Even if I have to hack into a simply safe somehow (it does have a land line feature that calls to their service as   aback up to the cellular) to just do the autodialer/radio part.. It also has no aux contacts I can use not only to trigger an auto dialer but to trigger a 'louder' audio alarm (we all live kinda far apart here, lots of big trees so I'd need something 'loud' like a 120v fire alarm for my neighbors to hear it...

So that will probably be what I try and use these things for, unless I run into another 'emergency situation'..

Thanks,
Mark

gutbag

Re Axoloti:

Is it transparent sounding as a volume control?
I think so. In my setup, it's always on, so perhaps I've compensated with other settings.

Can the volume curve be adjusted?
Yes, although I haven't done it. There will be several different ways of varying complexity.

What else can it do?  FX?
Basic guitar FX. I use delay/chorus/flange and some bitcrusher distortions.

It appears they are out of stock..  Do you know if this is a typical thing, a temporary thing, and how long this condition might last?
It's a one-man operation, and he makes batches from time to time. You could post a message on the forum asking about the next batch if you wanted.

Are you active in the forums there?
Not active, just a browser. Now that I've got it doing what I want, I'm not changing it. I have bursts of work on it (adding new patches as the music demands).

Do note that it has low-impedance line inputs, not instrument inputs.
Yes, I have it between two buffered pedals.

If you do decide to consider it again, you can download the software and get a feel for how much it can do - without the hardware. There's an active community of people developing all kinds of good stuff. Much of it is more to with synthesis than guitar processing, but I've found some useful things that would be very hard to find in an off-the-shelf pedal.

Hope that helps.

MountainCraft

Re Axoloti:
If you do decide to consider it again, you can download the software and get a feel for how much it can do - without the hardware. There's an active community of people developing all kinds of good stuff. Much of it is more to with synthesis than guitar processing, but I've found some useful things that would be very hard to find in an off-the-shelf pedal.

Hope that helps.
Pretty sure I will be considering it..  I'm already looking at the Meris Enzo, and some of EHXs synth pedals to augment the GP-10...  Those are to be inserted in the MS-3 loops, and the Axoloti will be better suited there too...  Gonna leave room for it in the 1U rack box for the second pedalboard..

So can patches be saved and shared?

BTW, Ordered the M5 this afternoon..  I think it is the perfect solution for my need, and half the price of the dedicated solutions..

gutbag

So can patches be saved and shared?
Yes. You can save the patches in source form from within the GUI. The compiled versions can be saved on the Axoloti's SD card, and the active patch can be changed with a MIDI PC message - although it's a bit tricky. The patch sources can be shared (it's just an XML file).

MountainCraft

Yes. You can save the patches in source form from within the GUI. The compiled versions can be saved on the Axoloti's SD card, and the active patch can be changed with a MIDI PC message - although it's a bit tricky. The patch sources can be shared (it's just an XML file).
Hey, just curious.. Can the thing 'hold' an incoming note/chord (without coloring it with it's own FX) indefinitely until told to stop?

Would love to have that ability, and not sure anything I have now can do that...  I have a TRIO+ which has a looper, but that's a pretty inelegant way to do it, IMO...

Thanks,
Mark

gutbag

Jul 31, 2019, 07:50 pm Last Edit: Jul 31, 2019, 07:52 pm by gutbag
Can the thing 'hold' an incoming note/chord (without coloring it with it's own FX) indefinitely until told to stop?
No, not as far as I know. Possible in theory but it's quite tricky to do. I have an EHX Freeze for that.

MountainCraft

No, not as far as I know. Possible in theory but it's quite tricky to do. I have an EHX Freeze for that.
Well, now at least I know of something that will do that..  I'm not entirely sure the GP-10 won't..  But I don't think so.. 

I just know I want something that will...

Thanks,
Mark

gutbag

Well, now at least I know of something that will do that..  I'm not entirely sure the GP-10 won't..  But I don't think so..  

I just know I want something that will...
The Freeze is great. I like it so much I put two into one box, with a send/return path between them:

Dual Freeze

MountainCraft

The Freeze is great. I like it so much I put two into one box, with a send/return path between them:

Dual Freeze
Pretty clever! That's some pedal board you got going on there...

I have almost no clue what any of it is, but I recognize the "MOOG" name anyway (and the pedal power)!

I guess those are synth modules of some kind? Are they intended for keys and repurposed, or are they made for use with guitars?

I have seen the name moogerfooger on similar stuff before, but know nothing about them...

MountainCraft

Aug 11, 2019, 01:38 am Last Edit: Aug 11, 2019, 01:39 am by MountainCraft
So I received the Line 6 M5 and after struggling for a couple days it does exactly what I want..

Trouble is, now I've completely fallen in live with it, and want that functionality plus access to it's awesome sounding FX..

So at the end of the month I'm gonna send it back and upgrade to the M9, which has three FX slots.. Then I can use one for volume, and have two to spice up the sound on the way to the amp..

All for just $50 more than the boutique single purpose  MIDI controllable volume box... and I still have all the arduino components to use for something else, like that security system..

Checking one more major item off of the list on the way to finishing my pedal board...

Thanks,
Mark

Louderme

This is excellent way to check Arduous Project. if you want to Easily choose VCA postage Guitar remotely up and down and adjusted volume according you. I think you set 100% audio circuit and controlled midi volume.

Go Up