Go Down

Topic: LED brightness (Read 133 times) previous topic - next topic

raymw

Why are the LEDs so bright?. I have Nanos and unos, (copies) but the on-board LEDs are far too bright. Anyone had any success in replacing the tiny 1k resistors- they are a bit too small for me to handle, although I could probably remove them easy enough. I guess once the project is completed they could be removed anyway.

larryd

With a bit of practice, SMD resistors can easily be replaced.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

MAS3

That's why you keep your Arduinos and modules after you blew them up.
Just like medicine students, use those that didn't make it to practice on.
Unlike those students, you don't need your target's approval for this in advance.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Robin2

Unlike those students, you don't need your target's approval for this in advance.
Or a fridge to store the failures in :)

Just put some black-marker on the too-bright LED?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

TomGeorge

Why are the LEDs so bright?. I have Nanos and unos, (copies) but the on-board LEDs are far too bright. Anyone had any success in replacing the tiny 1k resistors- they are a bit too small for me to handle, although I could probably remove them easy enough. I guess once the project is completed they could be removed anyway.
The LEDs on the Arduino boards are so bright because;
Most SMD LEDs are high performance type.
Most SMD LEDs do not have the domed bezel over the active light emitting area, this dome/lens spreads the light from the small emitting area. With no lens you are looking directly at the emitting area and so they appear so bright, also the sharpness of the LED gives them a more intense look than a LED with a lens.
Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

raymw

Perhaps the earlier Leds were less efficient, and when the later batches arrived the manufacturer didn't know/care or not bother to change resistors. Perhaps more bright is more better. I think for the boards I'm putting in boxes, I'll remove Leds, but if it entails modifying too much (I won't need usb or connector) then it may be just as well to use the bare processor chip with only the few needed ancillary components.

BJHenry

I cover the LEDs with some 5-minute epoxy. When you mix it really well it introduces lots of microscopic bubbles into the epoxy, and then it dries semi-opaque.

Go Up