problem with reading mlx90614esf-BCD ir temp sensor

hi guys.

i used to use IR temperature sensors MLX90614ESF BCC, BCF without any problems with the simple sketches available online.

recently i bought sensors from the same familyline , but a little bit different, the last three initials are BCD (mlx90614esf-BCD).

when hooked up and starting the sketch (used previously for bcc or bcf sensors) it actually shows the ambient temperature, not an object temp. i tried to find out may be the registers are different for BCD sensors, but could not find a datasheet.

any ideas?

please, i m surfing the forum trying to find the answer, but still have no clue. melexis responded, that BCD is their product, but since it was not bought from an official dealer, they can not support.

how it comes, that ambient and object temperatures figures are the same, while the object is definitely different from the ambient temperature.

So, according to old but gold thread - Melexis MLX90614 thermal sensor - default EEPROM? - Sensors - Arduino Forum
in EEPROM 09, which should refer to Calibration - there is written 0000.

Anyone can provide with calibrated BCD sensor eeprom default values?
In calibrated i mean - if your sensor shows reasonable ambient and object temperatures.

Anyone can provide with calibrated BCD sensor eeprom default values?
In calibrated i mean - if your sensor shows reasonable ambient and object temperatures.

Hi! You got me by some sort of miracle. I don't check this site too often these days :slight_smile:
It has been a while since I played with these sensors, and to be honest I don't even know where I have them at this point in time, so I'm afraid I can't run any code on them for testing purposes.

HOWEVER... if you accept just one suggestion it should be NOT to mess with the calibration values, in particular #09. Those values (in particular position 09) are set at the time of manufacture and should not be changed unless you really know what you are doing.

Now... sorry if these are stupid questions, but sometimes the simplest things are the source of the biggest headaches. So:

• are you able to read correctly ALL the other memory locations?
  • Do you get the same results from all the sensors you received?
  • Are you sure your problem is not communications?
  • Are the sensors running in I2C mode (and not PWM)?
  • Is there anything that may be preventing the sensor from "looking out"?

According to the datasheet, your sensor should be no different from the one I used (the only relevant letter seems to be the 2nd, which is a "C" on all the sensors discussed. The datasheet should be the same (https://www.melexis.com/-/media/files/documents/datasheets/mlx90614-datasheet-melexis.pdf).