Go Down

Topic: Open any file  (Read 328 times) previous topic - next topic

abosalah99

Hi all.
I have a project and need your help.
Is there any command make to open a file like word pdf excel.
I want to make something like 2 buttons.
Button 1 will open a word file.
Button 2 will open an excel file.
I did many search but I can't find anything.
It's so important please help me.

Delta_G

Aug 14, 2019, 12:24 am Last Edit: Aug 14, 2019, 12:25 am by Delta_G
Arduino is a micro-controller with very small amount of RAM and running very slow.  There is absolutely zero chance of it ever opening an excel file or a word file.  Those are things you need a PC to do. 

You might as well be asking how hard you have to pedal to get your bicycle into orbit. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

larryd

:o

OMG

What are you trying to accomplish?

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

boylesg

Arduino is good for processing simple and small text files.

The amount of code you would have to have in order to open and process .pdf, .docx and .xlsx files would likely exceed the amount of flash memory available on even and Arduino Due.

If you really need to be able to do this then I suggest you look into Raspberry Pi.

But you would need to find some one who has written libraries in Python for example that can process these file types.

UKHeliBob

There is, of course, no reason why you could not write programs such that pressing a button on the Arduino causes the attached PC to open a file, however, it is not clear what the OP really wants to do
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

meltDown

programs such that pressing a button on the Arduino causes the attached PC to open a file
That's what I thought OP meant, not opening such a file in Arduino.

UKHeliBob

Mind you, you could potentially open any type of file with an Arduino and read it byte by byte.  Quite what you would/could do with it is another thing
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

meltDown

The standard SD card examples like dumpfile could indeed do that  8) ....

OP you need to tell the forum a bit more methinks.

PerryBebbington

You might as well be asking how hard you have to pedal to get your bicycle into orbit.  
So, how hard DO you have to pedal to get a bicycle into orbit? :smiley-confuse:

GRuser

Arduino is good for processing simple and small text files.

How simple? how small?
For example can create a new txt file and write to it data (in transfers from 150 to 250 bytes each time, open-transfer, close) until a size of 1 megabytes?

abosalah99

thank you all for help but i think there is a misunderstanding here.
I will tell you what exactly needed.
There is a spare parts store need to give RFID tag to each customer.
And when he read this tag, simply an excel file for this tag "or customer" opened in the computer so he can edit it.
The Arduino will never see the file. just open 256893.xlsx "256893 is the tag nuid"
That's it
Thank you

UKHeliBob

i think there is a misunderstanding here.
Which you caused it by not initially explaining what you actually wanted to do.

It is easy to write a program for the Arduino that reads an RFID tag and sends a message to the PC which contains the details of the tag.  You will, however, need a program on the PC to receive the message and open the file which is not really the business of this forum.

What programming experience and skills do you have

meltDown

i think there is a misunderstanding here.
More of a "no-"understanding, since you gave insufficient info.

I will tell you what exactly needed.
You should have led with that....

abosalah99

More of a "no-"understanding, since you gave insufficient info.

You should have led with that....

If you got it where is your answer lool.

UKHeliBob

You have asked about 2 separate things

Button 1 will open a word file.
Button 2 will open an excel file.
There is a spare parts store need to give RFID tag to each customer.
And when he read this tag, simply an excel file for this tag "or customer" opened in the computer so he can edit it.
Which of these 2 requirements is what you really want ?

Go Up