Go Down

Topic: Very broad question - when will you need a Leaf board? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

fanjanc@gmail.com

I know this is a VERY VERY broad and subjective question, but I saw the Leaf Maple board and I was just wondering, in layman's terms (meaning "if you wanted to do X, Y and Z, you won't use the arduino, but rather the Leaf board), when will you have reached the ceiling of the Arduino boards and need just that tad more power?

Like I said, very broad question, and I'm just curios.
"The really amazing thing is how many people are successful with their Arduino projects considering the fact that so many of them do not have a technical background.  A lot of them seem to try, and succeed with, projects that no sane engineer would even attempt." - floresta commenting on the proper use of LCD displays

RuggedCircuits

Well, here's a very broad and subjective answer :)

1) When you need a bigger program. It has ~4x the FLASH of an UNO. Not only can this fit a bigger program it can fit bigger tables of numbers, or more constant strings, longer sound samples, etc.

2) When you need to work with bigger buffers of data. Suppose you want to acquire data and write it to an SD card or NAND FLASH in 4k blocks. You can't buffer 4k of data on an UNO because it only has 2k of RAM. The Maple has 20KB of RAM so can easily buffer up 4k of data.

3) When you need faster operation. Sometimes faster is just plain better. For example, if you are doing tone detection, or rudimentary audio filtering or sound synthesis, raw clock speed is good. In addition, a 32-bit microcontroller architecture will give you more processing oomph even at the same clock speed, so at 4.5x the clock speed (72 MHz vs. 16 MHz) you'll actually get >4.5x the raw processing performance just because you can work with 32 bits at a time.

--
The Flexible MIDI Shield: MIDI IN/OUT, stacking headers, your choice of I/O pins

amacmullen14

I'm sticking with the arduino for a project that is a step sequencer displayed on a 16x8 RG led matrix, with at most 16 digital or analog inputs.  (at least 6 pots and 4 switches).  I plan on having at least 3 oscillators, with different 4bit waveforms, with a master 8bit output done by PWM and a lowpass filter.  I'm planning on giving it midi input and output, notes and hopefully some way to do midi sync.  I might also add some other outputs to trigger other things such as Coron ds-8 drum synth clones.
In all, a big step up from my first arduino sequencer shown here

So yeah, I'm going to try to do all this on one arduino.  Probably going to be a challenge, but that's the fun in it!

Go Up