Go Down

Topic: No bootloading boards showing up in boards menu (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

Spydercrawler

Hello,
I am trying to bootload an atmega328PU chip to put my arduino project onto. I have built the required setup and everything, but have run into a problem:
The tutorial to bootload an atmega328 found here states in one step to 'Select "Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328" from the Tools > Board menu. (Or "ATmega328 on a breadboard (8 MHz internal clock)" if using the minimal configuration described below.)'.
Unfortunately, neither of these are showing up in the tools > board menu, as shown here:

I have checked the boards manager for either of these board options but have been unable to find anything. Is there anything I am missing here? What can I do about this?

pert

The tutorial to bootload an atmega328 found here states in one step to 'Select "Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328" from the Tools > Board menu.
This part of the instructions is outdated. The Tools > Board menu has since been reorganized due to the added capability of having custom menus to configure boards. You would now pick Tools > Board > Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila and then Tools > Processor > ATmega328P or else you would pick Tools > Board > Arduino Nano and then Tools > Processor > ATmega328P. However, if you are using a 16 MHz crystal then you would be much better off to choose Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno. The reason being that the Uno has the same ATmega328P running at 16 MHz as the Duemilanove and Nano, but the Uno uses a more modern bootloader that only requires 0.5 kB of flash memory instead of the 2 kB of flash memory required for the bootloaders of the older boards. That means you free up 1.5 kB of precious flash memory with absolutely no disadvantages! Likely the Uno didn't exist at the time that tutorial was written and Arduino never bothered to update the tutorial.

(Or "ATmega328 on a breadboard (8 MHz internal clock)" if using the minimal configuration described below.)'.
Unfortunately, neither of these are showing up in the tools > board menu, as shown here:
If you read the "Minimal Circuit (Eliminating the External Clock)" section of the tutorial, you'll see that it provides instructions for installing a "breadboard" hardware package that will provide that "ATmega328 on a breadboard (8 MHz internal clock" board. That hardware package is only available through manual installation. You can't install it using Boards Manager. You should only use that board if you don't have a crystal connected to your ATmega328P.

WattsThat

If you're looking to use the 8MHz internal clock, add https://github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore to your IDE using the boards manger and use that for bootloading your 328P. MiniCore uses Opiboot so it too is very space efficient and easier to install than what is described in the tutorial.
Vacuum tube guy in a solid state world

Spydercrawler

Thank you guys so much! I have one question about all this, though: I cannot find tools > processor to set the processor to atmega328p. It only appears to list board, port, and programmer as dropdowns. I have tried updating my arduino IDE to see if that would help, but unfortunately tools > processor is still not showing up. Is there anything I can do about that?

WattsThat

There is no tools->processor menu pick, you use the board type that has the processor you're trying to bootload. It's an indirect pick and not intuitive for newbies.

If you install the MiniCore, you will see processor types, not boards.
Vacuum tube guy in a solid state world

pert

The Tools > Processor menu will only be shown if you have a board selected from the Tools > Board menu which is available in multiple processor choices. For example, if you select Tools > Board > Arduino Nano then you will indeed find there to be a Tools > Processor menu. If you select Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno, then you will not see a Tools > Processor menu because the Uno only comes with the ATmega328P, so there is no need for a Tools > Processor menu.

Go Up