Arduino Due analogRead time

Hi,

I have seen some previous posts/documentation online stating that the analogRead function on an Arduino Due takes 40us. I am aware it is possible to adjust the internal registers and place the ADC in free running mode to speed up the conversion time.

However, when I time how long the analogRead function takes on my Due board I am getting a conversion time of ~5.36us (printed time/number of samples). I have a simple piece of code posted below to time the conversions. Can anyone shed some light as to why I am getting results in the region of 5us instead of 40us?

#define CHANNEL A0  // sample pin A0
unsigned long microseconds;
int const samples = 1024;
double vReal[samples]; 

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {
  int start = micros();

for(int i=0; i<samples; i++)
  {
    vReal[i] = analogRead(CHANNEL);
  }

Serial.println(micros() - start);
  delay(1000);

}

I tried adjusting the ADC registers on my Due board and thought that might be why the conversion time was quicker but I have now tested two Due boards (no adjustments to 2nd board) and got the same results for both. I presume the measurement would be a lot more accurate with an oscilloscope and toggle a digital pin for every conversion but I have not tested this just yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

For precise ADC readings, forget analogRead(). Search in the DUE sub forum an example code for ADC conversions at a precise freqsuency thru registers direct programming.