Go Down

Topic: Arduino into usb audio interface for guitar  (Read 460 times) previous topic - next topic

Shinzuu

Aug 22, 2019, 08:51 am Last Edit: Aug 22, 2019, 09:54 am by Shinzuu
just tell me how can i turn a arduino into an guitar interface for guitar with a resolution of more than 16bit  . schematics will be a great help

zwieblum

Shinzuu

What's the budget?
well that can be flexible . im trying to make this to learn more about arduino ,so dont really mind if i have to pay more than 50$ with which i can easily buy a prebuild audio interface

zwieblum

Well, then buy an interface, disassemble it, try to paint the schematics and the identify the components. Then rebuild it. If you have too little knowledge, learn.

Shinzuu

Well, then buy an interface, disassemble it, try to paint the schematics and the identify the components. Then rebuild it. If you have too little knowledge, learn.
no , i want to use as arduino .what im really trying to learn is about arduino in a practical application , and guitar interface is because its an old project . i used to make guitar apms and pedals . so thought as a next step i would try to covert the analog signals into digital using an arduino :)

zwieblum

Maybe it would be a good startingpoint to actually describw what you want to, if you have done any research on your own and what it is that you have problems with. If you want a "gimme all", then be prepared to be asked for a bunch more bucks than you want to spend.

Shinzuu

Maybe it would be a good startingpoint to actually describw what you want to, if you have done any research on your own and what it is that you have problems with. If you want a "gimme all", then be prepared to be asked for a bunch more bucks than you want to spend.
ouch
aah..the amplication part of guitar input is done . now i need an ADC to turn the input signal into 16bit digital output . i cant use the arduino direct as an adc because it has a low resolution . so was thinking if i could use some thing like ADS1115 ADC 16 BIT ADC to covert input signal to digital and send that to arduino digital input and somehow code the arduino in such a way that when i will connect it to pc it will show as an audio usb interface .
what else?..umm i have tiny bit of coding knowledge as i have to learn C and html in my college but apart from that youtube and forum like these are my best friend

Grumpy_Mike

and somehow code the arduino in such a way that when i will connect it to pc it will show as an audio usb interface .
That, I think, is where it all falls apart. The Arduino's USB interface looks only like a serial port to the PC.

Other types of Arduino, like the Micro, can look like a HID MIDI interface, but I don't know of any type of Arduino that is fast enough to look like an audio USB device, and if there is I don't know if anyone has written a driver for this.

It is a very advanced project.

DVDdoug

Aug 22, 2019, 05:53 pm Last Edit: Aug 22, 2019, 06:32 pm by DVDdoug
There are specialized chips for this.    Here's the 1st one I found.   

"USB soundcards" use these kind of specialized chips and that's why you can buy a  complete USB soundcard for less than $5 USD, or you can get a Behringer USB-guitar interface for about $30.   These things don't have a programmable microcontroller.

You can get microcontroller chips with a "real" USB interface but writing your own firmware to work with the standard Windows or Mac USB audio drivers is "advanced programming".    Writing your own firmware and a custom driver is even more advanced.

If you want to do digital signal processing you can also get spealized DSP chips. But again this is advanced programming, some of these chips can be expensive, and you might have to buy a development kit for a few hundred dollars.   

I assume most digital guitar "stomp boxes" use DSP chips.   I'm pretty-sure most inexpensive effect boxes are analog, or maybe they use some very-simple digital processing (perhaps without a microprocessor). 

P.S.
It's not practical or economical to build something like this.   They have a team of electronic, mechanical, and software engineers and automated production equipment.   The fixed-costs are high but the variable (per-unit) costs are low.  They buy the components in bulk, the custom parts are manufactured in bulk, and assembly is done with very-little per-unit labor, and it's low-cost labor.     

For the same reasons it's not worth repairing a unit like that.   Diagnosis & repair typically requires an hour (or more) of expensive-skilled labor, and if the repair is not done at the factory the replacement parts have to be purchased & shipped in small quantities.

Shinzuu

There are specialized chips for this.    Here's the 1st one I found.   

"USB soundcards" use these kind of specialized chips and that's why you can buy a  complete USB soundcard for less than $5 USD, or you can get a Behringer USB-guitar interface for about $30.   These things don't have a programmable microcontroller.

You can get microcontroller chips with a "real" USB interface but writing your own firmware to work with the standard Windows or Mac USB audio drivers is "advanced programming".    Writing your own firmware and a custom driver is even more advanced.

If you want to do digital signal processing you can also get spealized DSP chips. But again this is advanced programming, some of these chips can be expensive, and you might have to buy a development kit for a few hundred dollars.   

I assume most digital guitar "stomp boxes" use DSP chips.   I'm pretty-sure most inexpensive effect boxes are analog, or maybe they use some very-simple digital processing (perhaps without a microprocessor). 

P.S.
It's not practical or economical to build something like this.   They have a team of electronic, mechanical, and software engineers and automated production equipment.   The fixed-costs are high but the variable (per-unit) costs are low.  They buy the components in bulk, the custom parts are manufactured in bulk, and assembly is done with very-little per-unit labor, and it's low-cost labor.     

For the same reasons it's not worth repairing a unit like that.   Diagnosis & repair typically requires an hour (or more) of expensive-skilled labor, and if the repair is not done at the factory the replacement parts have to be purchased & shipped in small quantities.
thank you very much sir . it was a great help . now i know where to look to

Go Up