Go Down

Topic: Whierd Serial Communication Problem (Read 985 times) previous topic - next topic

XilefTech

Hello there!

Today I got a very weird issue while trying to test the Serial Communication for another project.

First of all: I'm using an Arduino Mega (JOY-IT Clone) hooked up via usb  and this is basically my code:

Code: [Select]
void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);

Serial.flush();
  Serial.println("Ready");

}

void loop() {

if (Serial.available() > 0) {
    Serial.println(Serial.available());  //just for debugging
    Serial.println(Serial.parseInt());   //printing the entered number
    Serial.println(Serial.available());  //just for debugging
  }

}

I would have expected something like this when I sent for example 4 through the serial monitor:

But If I type in any number I get:

<my entered number>

And after a delay of a half to a full second it adds:

So the total output is:

<my entered number>

I can't explain to me how this happens and didn't found anything on the internet like this

Pls reply soon
Xilef

pert

This is because the Serial Monitor is adding some line ending characters to the data you typed into the input field. You can change this behavior via the line ending menu at the bottom of the Serial Monitor. If you set it to "No Line Ending", it will work as you expect.

Code: [Select]

Serial.flush();

You might want to read the documentation for Serial.flush() so you will understand what it does:
https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/communication/serial/flush

Robin2

You may find this link useful

Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

XilefTech

Thanks for the quick replies!

Your suggestions solved my problem!

Thanks a lot!

Xilef

pert

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

Go Up