Go Down

Topic: How to connect multiple sensors to one input (Read 217 times) previous topic - next topic

Fwafy

Hi everyone,

I'm still new to arduino but I am working with my high-school students to create a project for an event. We want to make a sensor that reads pH and Temperature. We are using this project:

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/safepools-ph/safepools-ph-408029?f=1

I have all the equipment already, but I don't understand how there are multiple wires going to one input. For now, I am simply connecting wires by twisting them, but I want to make sure I am on the right track with this. Is there any other way I can connect the wires? The project doesn't show them using a breadboard for this matter.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Paul_KD7HB

Obviously the Fritzing diagram is wrong, but the text is correct. Go by the text!!!

Paul

raschemmel

but I don't understand how there are multiple wires going to one input. For now, I am simply connecting wires by twisting them, but I want to make sure I am on the right track with this. Is there any other way I can connect the wires? The project doesn't show them using a breadboard for this matter.
What does your experience/knowledge of arduino (or any other analog input for that matter) tell you about
connecting two different analog input signals to the SAME input pin ?

Does the fact that you found it on line suggest to you that it should be correct ?
if so, then you are sadly mistaken. The fact that you found it online in no way implies that it is correct.
You must proofread everything you find on line. If , after reviewing the wiring shown in an online post,
it makes sense to you , then proceed. Obviously, you cannot connect two different analog sensors to the
same input because for one thing they are different kinds of sensors, one is temp, one is Ph.
Had they both been identical TMP36 temp sensors it would still be technically wrong but functionally, it
could work if they were from the same manufacturing run and had very similar characteristics. They would
try to fight each other but you would likely get a temp reading that was close to correct , but with some
error, but it would be as incorrect as connecting two power supply outputs together, although not quite
as bad.
Clearly, you should look at that schematic and think "that's incorrect , the Ph sensor should go to a
different input, like A1.
Correct the schematic , and move on.

zoomkat

"Is there any other way I can connect the wires? The project doesn't show them using a breadboard for this matter."

It might be good to get two bread boards, one for each end of the project, to make test wiring easy to change. You can start by just getting the sensor end working and printing to the serial monitor. You can also just try to get the bluetooth modules communicating with each other. The forum search function probably can turn up similar projects for reference. I also find the project write up somewhat sketchy and light from a technical stand point. The final "results" state "The development is still in progress." and it is not clear that the project was actually completed as originally stated. If you already have the equipment, then your project might be to prove or not weather the project will actually work as described.
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

raschemmel

If it was an assignment then it's obviously
a test to see if will just build it without thinking
or look at it and say  "that's messed up."

Go Up