Go Down

Topic: Arduino IDE Alternatives (Read 113 times) previous topic - next topic

czu001

I was wondering if anyone had input on an alternative IDE for Arduino development?  I'm a software engineer and I've been programming in the Arduino IDE for about a year now.  I'm used to Visual Studio and XCode.

Arduino IDE is a fantastic IDE, but it definitely lacks some features I'd like to see in an IDE (especially around class organization, shortcuts, and auto-complete).  Ideally, I don't want to spend an entire day setting up another IDE only to find out some boards work/don't work, etc.

Does anyone have any feedback on alternative IDE's (cross-platform if possible)?

PieterP

You can use Visual Studio Code (not to be confused with Visual Studio) with either the Arduino extension, or with PlatformIO.

Pieter

czu001

Code: [Select]
with either the Arduino extension, or with PlatformIO.

Do you happen to have any preference between these two extensions?

wildbill

Eclipse usually comes up when this question is asked - haven't used it myself (with Arduino).

gfvalvo

No technical questions via PM. They will be ignored. Post your questions in the forum so that all may learn.

hammy

Google " visual studio Arduino"

Delta_G

I'm pretty happy with Eclipse / Sloeber.
+1 to that.  Though I may downgrade back to Eclipse-Oxygen for a little while.  I'm having some bugs lately between the latest version and Sloeber. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Go Up