Go Down

Topic: Nrf24l01 + line of sight and antenna  (Read 149 times) previous topic - next topic

Marciokoko

I've tested a setup between Nrf24l01+ at 30m distance and line of sight is an issue.

1. Would adding an external antenna help?

I don't need more power for a greater distance so i was thinking of aging an antenna to the side of the building and somehow wiring it to the Nrf24l01.

If it would work, what kind of antenna could I add and how would I connect it to the Nrf24l01?

Paul_KD7HB

I've tested a setup between Nrf24l01+ at 30m distance and line of sight is an issue.

1. Would adding an external antenna help?

I don't need more power for a greater distance so i was thinking of aging an antenna to the side of the building and somehow wiring it to the Nrf24l01.

If it would work, what kind of antenna could I add and how would I connect it to the Nrf24l01?
I think some of the NRF24l01 boards have a SMA coax connector for an antenna. The boards with the etched copper antenna are not suitable for an external antenna.

Best to just remote the antenna and not the whole board.

Paul

Marciokoko

OK those are the pna/lna modules right?  So basically is have to change modules.

Whandall

This points to a different problem, not the low capabilities of the normal NRF24L01+ modules.

My guess is insufficient power supply.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

Robin2

Aug 25, 2019, 10:00 am Last Edit: Aug 25, 2019, 10:01 am by Robin2
What exactly does that mean.

Do you mean that it would not work at 30m range because there is an obstacle between the two nRF24 devices? If so, what is the obstacle? A diagram of the location would be a help.

30m is not far. If you are using the low-power nRF24 modules (with PCB antenna) have you tried changing the orientation of the antennas relative to each other. I think the flat faces of the antennas should face each other. Are you sure there is nothing close to either antenna that might be attenuating its signal - such as a metal surface.

If you can't get communication to work with one or both of the Arduinos using the high-power nRF24 modules (with external antenna) then I reckon you need to change to a lower frequency wireless system - perhaps a pair of HC12 modules.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

raymw

Aug 25, 2019, 05:02 pm Last Edit: Aug 26, 2019, 02:45 am by raymw
If you want to stick with the small nrf20's with the pcb antenna, (or other versions) then the power supply, as Robin2 mentions, is critical. So far, I've been lucky in using the 3.3V supply from the Arduino Nano, with a 10uF electrolytic capacitor. It may be worth adding a wire external antenna, here is a utube link "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpMnauHeR7Y&ytbChannel=null"
The comments offer other suggestions and critiques of the utube version. I ended up buying a couple of these, and all seems to be fine. "https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BPQXXQ5"
I use one as the master, one as a slave, and another three (will be more)  of the pcb antenna types as slaves, based on Robin2's software. Playing with the values in
Code: [Select]
radio.setRetries(8, 12); // delay, count
improved the chances of signals getting through, as did a few other settings.

edit to add - sorry about the links. If I use the site links, it all gets mangled

Go Up