Go Down

Topic: “Development and modelling of a low speed multi-node communication protocol and (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Roshan67

Hi, I am new to Arduino programming and its implementation, I have to demonstrate a working model based on the following details. Is there someone who could help me to develop the following project or give some ideas to achieve my goal. The project details follow.

"Given the current trend towards powering remotely located plant and equipment with decentralised cable free power supplies (e.g. a solar panel and battery pack per item of equipment at a node), coordinated control and reporting of the behaviour of the equipment at each node presents new challenges. Conventional copper and glass fibre cable networks to support the IT infrastructure have also been discarded, WiFi is a non-viable technology due to inter-node distance constraints, yet fault reporting and maintenance of the individual items of equipment at each node must still be supported.

This project investigates communication protocols that underpin contemporary data networking applications such as Ethernet (CD/CSMA), CA/CSMA, Token Ring (baton passing), Master/Backup, Multi-Master/Multi-Backup to evaluate their suitability as a protocol model for a WideR Area Network that might link nodes together, where the internode distance might be as much as 2-3 kilometres.

The project aims to demonstrate a working model for a WRAN using a microprocessor-based technology platform like Arduino; a WRAN that could wirelessly link together a cluster of street lighting poles around a small village or as often found in remote parts of Australia, at major road junctions on outback highways. Apart from fault finding, fault reporting and maintenance, the goal for the street lighting example is to coordinate time of day switching based on shared knowledge of environmental conditions and stored energy capacity of the main power supply battery at each node."

Thank you

Paul_KD7HB

Welcome to the Arduino forum.

I have to wonder why you think an Arduino has any merit as part of your assignment?

DO we get some class credit for helping?

Paul

sterretje

@Paul_KD7HB

OP did not necessarily ask for implementation. Asking for ideas for a class assignment or (even a thesis) is fully valid in my opinion.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Robin2

OP did not necessarily ask for implementation.
Oh yes he did - or pretty close to it
I have to develop an application related to the following description. Is there someone who could help me to develop the following project
And he already has quoted the details of the assignment in his Original Post - and (ref Reply #1) it specifically mentions an Arduino.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Robin2

Hi, I am new to Arduino programming and all the stuff, I have to develop an application related to the following description.
It seems as if you have no idea how to implement the project which makes me wonder why it was assigned to you?

Is that a college test or is it a task set as part of your job?

In either case there is a huge amount of background learning in front of you. Writing a program will, eventually, be the small part of the project. The real task is to understand what choices need to be made to achieve the performance objectives. There are probably online tutorials on the different concepts that you will need to consider.

...R

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Robin2

LoRa?
I reckon the project spec is really about the choices that need to be made to achieve the performance objective much more than  it is about demoing a working system. The person who can describe the alternatives and choose between them will have learned something.

...R

srnet

Hi, I am new to Arduino programming and all the stuff, I have to develop an application related to the following description. Is there someone who could help me to develop the following project or give some ideas to achieve my goal.
To achieve the goal of the exersize you need to do some basic research on the techniques and systems mentioned in the project brief.

Then you would be able to ask realistic questions on how to achieve the goal.

If your after someone writing you a technical report of some sort, go over to 'Gigs and Collaborations', you never know someone might be prepared to help for free.
No PMs please, they dont get answered.

Roshan67

Hello guys,

Thank you so much for your suggestions and opinions.
This task is the part of my final year project at my University and
the main reason that I posted it in this forum is to collect suggestions
and ideas or even some kind of help that I could get for implementing the
ideas.

Thank You
Roshan

srnet

This task is the part of my final year project at my University
So what are your ideas as to the best way of implementing this 'network' ?
No PMs please, they dont get answered.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

SteveMann

In case you haven't gotten the hint yet- LoRa.
If you don't have the luxury of Ethernet or WiFi, then LoRa would be your next option for 2km data I/O.
I am usually so far out of the box that most people don't know what I am talking about.

Please do not ask for help by PM. I will not respond.
If you need help, post a question on the appropriate forum.
Click on Add Karma if I helped you.

Roshan67

@ Srnet
my idea is to use a token ring network to create two or more nodes and to assign a device as a master and
other devices as a slave.
the basic concept is to make a communication between these nodes wirelessly for transferring low-speed
 data.
I have three Arduino board with me and I have integrated  NRF23L01 as a wireless transmitter and a receiver.
My main aim is to implement a token ring concept within three Arduino boards and to establish communication between these three devices and assign one of the device as the master controller.

Thank you

wvmarle

This task is the part of my final year project at my University and the main reason that I posted it in this forum is to collect suggestions and ideas or even some kind of help that I could get for implementing the
ideas.
HC12 and RFM69 can also reach 2-3 km, but it depends on the environment (same for LoRa). Both offer better bandwidth but less range than LoRa. No problem with a clear line of sight, but without that... not so easy. Mobile phone network is another high bandwidth option, subject to local coverage.

Some answers you will have to answer before you can choose a link:
- Available frequencies: is this to run on public frequencies? What is available at your location?
- Or can you get access to some kind of restricted frequencies?
- What is your allowed transmission power?
- Can you use directional antennas?
- What bandwidth do you require?
- Can you always get a clear line of sight? If not, what could be in the way?
- What is your power budget?
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Paul_KD7HB

@ Srnet
my idea is to use a token ring network to create two or more nodes and to assign a device as a master and
other devices as a slave.
the basic concept is to make a communication between these nodes wirelessly for transferring low-speed
 data.
I have three Arduino board with me and I have integrated  NRF23L01 as a wireless transmitter and a receiver.
My main aim is to implement a token ring concept within three Arduino boards and to establish communication between these three devices and assign one of the device as the master controller.

Thank you
In a token ring, there is NO master or slave. If the message is for your station, act on it. If it is not, pass it on to the next station. If your station created the message, do not pass it on.

For a responsive toke ring network, the speed must be extremely fast. I have never seen one that was not directly connected to each station.

Paul

Go Up