Go Down

Topic: BEGINNERS: Software needs Hardware (Read 791 times) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Sep 06, 2019, 02:02 am Last Edit: Sep 06, 2019, 02:05 am by lastchancename
There are many times on this forum with beginners loading a proven sketch, and something unexpected happens (usually not the desired result).
The solution lies in experience - or reading & learning - just like everything else.

THE FIRST LESSON FOR ANY NEWBIE/BEGINNER is - the Arduino REQUIRES stable hardware to run *any* software.
The standard Arduino boards provide this... but you also need to look oiut for -
  • Loose wires and connections,
  • Mis-connected / oriented parts,
  • Inadequate power (volts x amps!),
  • Missing/wrongly arranged pull-up/downs
  • Properly configured host (IDE, serial monitor) etc,
  • Inadequate planning or a simple lack of understanding.
All these can ground your ambitions if it involves anything more complicated than blinking the on-board LED.
Owning a driver's licence - won't help if there's no car - or the car is broken down.
Calm down, you are not Donald Trump - you don't know everything.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

QrokPL

I don't know if this is relevant here but if you are using cheap Chinese boards many time you need some kind of drivers like CH34x for example.
Invest in original Arduino board for testing it will save you some frustration.

lastchancename

As an experienced user, that's never caused me any grief, but I can certainly see how a newbie could be caught out while getting their first LED to blink!

Once a driver issue is is recognised and resolved, it should never be an issue again in 90% of cases.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

nolanchrist007

Sep 15, 2019, 02:04 pm Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019, 06:23 am by nolanchrist007
Thanks for this awesome post. As a beginner I really need these kind of tips. I am starting my journey with Arduino and posts like this will help me getting started.

Confirm form resubmission

anthonyHope

• Inadequate power (volts x amps!),

While that's obviously true, remember too that there needs to be the right quantity of each, not just of their product. If a servo for example needs 5V and 1A, yes that's 5x1=5W. But it won't work at 2.5V just because your supply can give 2A; nor will it work at 10V and 0.5A since 10V may liberate smoke.

lastchancename

Emitting smoke is the first rung on the ladder of magic!
However we're aiming to be developers,  not magicians...

john-kelsall

the ad that got me here was "Good". i thought it was good ol usa, then after i was sold i thought it was from Italy or France then when i recieved the goods i thought oh oh chinese and handle with care. im good to go and will download all i can before i let the smoke out!
john

Go Up