Go Down

Topic: Connect headphones to arduino (Read 800 times) previous topic - next topic

CodenameXX

So I've been looking at building a synth with an arduino. I read a lot of articles that were telling you can't connect headphones to the arduino because of the input impedance and the square shape of the signal.

I came across this article (link below), which basically calculates a wave and sends it out as a fast PWM signal. By connecting an RC-filter, they get an analog signal that varies between 0-5V.

https://makezine.com/projects/make-35/advanced-arduino-sound-synthesis/

Would it be possible to connect headphones to the output of the filter? Or will I still have problems?

Kind regards

Grumpy_Mike

Sep 06, 2019, 11:30 am Last Edit: Sep 06, 2019, 11:31 am by Grumpy_Mike
The output of that filter is high impedance, if you connect your low impedance headphones to that the signal will collapse.

High impedance headphones are a thing of the past, you have to get them from vintage shops these days.

What is wrong with using an amplifier?

MarkT

That transistor circuit driving an 8 ohm speaker is a very cheap/cheerful solution to the impedance issue I suppose.  Puts DC bias on the speaker though which could be fatal to headphone drivers alas...

Amplifier chips are the way to go really, yes.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up