Go Down

Topic: Calibration of HMC5883L  (Read 193 times) previous topic - next topic

Charles__

Hello all,
I want to use the HMC5883L, which is a 3 axis compass. For my project, i want to be able to calibrate it on the north geographic with marks on the floor and a color detector.
I searched a lot but i only found how to calibrate it with algorithms.
So my question is : is it possible to assign a new value of the north multiple times by my own program ?
Thank you by advance for your help.

jremington

with marks on the floor and a color detector.
What does this mean?

This is the best tutorial for calibrating a magnetometer: https://thecavepearlproject.org/2015/05/22/calibrating-any-compass-or-accelerometer-for-arduino/

Idahowalker

Sep 09, 2019, 06:12 pm Last Edit: Sep 09, 2019, 06:14 pm by Idahowalker
Hello all,
I want to use the HMC5883L, which is a 3 axis compass. For my project, i want to be able to calibrate it on the north geographic with marks on the floor and a color detector.
I searched a lot but i only found how to calibrate it with algorithms.
So my question is : is it possible to assign a new value of the north multiple times by my own program ?
Thank you by advance for your help.
Let me see if I got this correct:

You want to draw true N-S lines on the floor, you are going to use a color detector, to find those lines, and re orientate, either physically or programatically, the devices readings based upon those drawn lines, right?

And you want to know if you can update a variable with that new value multiple times by your own program? Yes.

Charles__

Let me see if I got this correct:

You want to draw true N-S lines on the floor, you are going to use a color detector, to find those lines, and re orientate, either physically or programatically, the devices readings based upon those drawn lines, right?

And you want to know if you can update a variable with that new value multiple times by your own program? Yes.
Waouh, did you read my mind or...?
So yes, it's exactly what i want. Do you have the answer ?

Idahowalker

Yes.

Charles__

Ok, thank you very much !
So could you tell me how ?

Charles__

Sep 11, 2019, 12:37 pm Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 12:40 pm by Charles__
What does this mean?

This is the best tutorial for calibrating a magnetometer: https://thecavepearlproject.org/2015/05/22/calibrating-any-compass-or-accelerometer-for-arduino/
As i said, i'm not asking for a "simple" calibration with the magnetic north.

jremington

Sep 11, 2019, 04:50 pm Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 05:15 pm by jremington
The magnetometer is useless for just about any purpose if it is not calibrated.

Calibration is about removing offsets and correcting scale factors, and has nothing at all to do  with magnetic North.

Go Up