Go Down

Topic: Question about writing the code in Arduino 1.8.9 (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic

Meerschaut

Hi,

i'm new to Arduino and would like to ask a question about the arduino software, i don't know if a'm writing my topic in the correct section (or even if the topic is already made in the passed, if so, i apologize)

my question is if there is a possibility to let the software predict the code your are writing? What i mean is: let u say we start typing the code digitalWrite, once you entered the first letter d, that there shows a little window with all the words that started with the letter d so that u can choose the code from the list with, for example your arrow keys and once you have the code you want just enter so you don't need to type every time the whole word? like they have when writing a website with Adobe Dreamweaver.

i added a photo to show what i mean, i know i explained it a bit wired but i don't know if this got's a word for it or not.

thank u very much for helping

greetings Nick

pert

It's called auto complete and it's a feature available in the beta version of the Arduino IDE. You activate it via the Ctrl + Space keyboard shortcut.

Download the Arduino IDE beta here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#beta

Announcement of the feature:
https://blog.arduino.cc/2017/10/11/be-among-the-first-to-try-arduino-ide-1-9-beta/

Meerschaut

Hi Pert,

thank you very much for your help and information :)

pert

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the auto complete feature if you decide to give it a try. When I've used other IDEs with this feature, I always found it to be more distracting. I type pretty quickly and am good at copy/pasting code where there are things that can easily be reused so I didn't find that it saved me any time. For this reason, I haven't really given the Arduino IDE's auto complete feature much testing. I remember before the feature was added it was very common to get feature requests for auto complete so I think a lot of people do find it to be useful.

Enjoy!
Per

Go Up