Go Down

Topic: Can Arduino do this ArtWork? (Read 938 times) previous topic - next topic

eooojj

Can Arduino do this ArtWork?
Any programmers out there to collaborate with?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jlQjSE9bHo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnerjWiEOd4&feature=related

Basically, i am doing a media wall with 1000 points of stepper motors.
However i need to transfer information from 3d software to these 1000 steeper motors.
I can be reached at eooojj@gmail.com if i fail to see this thread reply.
Thanks much.

Ed

westfw

Arduino is not a particularly good stepper-motor interface, since most of the existing "stepper shield" boards are limited to 2 or three motors per arduino (they tend to use a pin for each of the four motor leads.)  Better to find some multi-stepper driver and use arduino(s) to coordinate communications between them and a PC.  (I don't know of any such drivers; most aim at three or four axis and then worry about power.  1000 low-power steppers is ... interesting.  And a hell of a lot of wires!)

eooojj

Hi westfw,

Thanks for the reply.
Any clue where should i start to search for these "multi steppers driver" ?  :(

westfw

pololu.com and sparkfun.com are two that come to mind.
Sparkfun has a 4-motor driver board that is only a little more expensive than pololu's single-stepper (but very small) breakout board.  You're looking at $13-16 per motor for a pretty capable (2A, 35V) Allegro Micro A4983-based driver that does microstepping and has step/direction inputs.  If your motors are significantly smaller than that, or if you only need "forward/reverse" (no individual steps), you can probably put together something much cheaper using simpler chips.  The Allegro chip itself is only about $2 if you buy 1000 at a time ($5 for one at a time.)
You can also search for terms like "5 axis stepper driver", but those tend to cost even more (and are typically aimed at people doing CNC conversions of their shop equipment, so they're also big, and for relatively big motors.)

Simpson_Jr

Apparently the 108 bags in/deflating is done with cooling fans, those would be a little easier to control and probably far less expensive.

It wouldn't surprise me servos were used in the second video.

Steppers are normally used for precision and lots of boards are built for some power, would you really need that ?

Techniques used in both videos probably differ, not knowing what your wall should do, might... result in you buying wrong, very expensive, equipment.

Go Up