Go Down

Topic: port  (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

HFB

hello dear  
i want to program the I C with USB asp programmer(i want to make an arduino board   )  and after installing the USB asp driver...  in code page i choose the USB asp programmer ....
up to now all thing are ok but  the  'port ' is disable and it cant find the port
then i cant program the IC ...
and i really need it ...
Thanks

pert

This is normal and expected. The USBasp is a pure USB device so it doesn't create a serial port on your computer. Just do a Sketch > Upload Using Programmer and the upload will work even with no port selected.

HFB

thanks
i did this way but i could  not program again  and the error is here
but i installed the driver ...

Sketch uses 890 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: Warning: cannot query manufacturer for device: No such file or directory
avrdude: Warning: cannot query product for device: No such file or directory
avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

pert

Do you have a USBasp programmer plugged into your computer?

C_Raynor

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get ArduinoIDE to recognize the USBasp. Without the com port, serial monitor is useless.

Windows 7 had for quite a while recognized the USBasp as a com port. What changed? What additions can the Dev team make to give the ability to use the USBasp as a com?

DrAzzy

Sep 22, 2019, 01:52 am Last Edit: Sep 22, 2019, 01:55 am by DrAzzy
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get ArduinoIDE to recognize the USBasp. Without the com port, serial monitor is useless.

Windows 7 had for quite a while recognized the USBasp as a com port. What changed? What additions can the Dev team make to give the ability to use the USBasp as a com?

The USBAsp has NEVER been recognized as a COM port. The USBAsp is not a USB-serial adapter. This functionality is in no way necessary to use the USBAsp to program an AVR. If you are getting an error, post the full text of that error.

If you had another serial port present, that would be in the tools -> port menu, but when using the USBAsp (or other programmer that does not project as a serial port, like a USBTinyISP) as programmer (via upload using programmer, or burn bootloader, or normal upload to a board that does not support uploading code over a serial port), the tools -> port selection is completely ignored. (Likewise, when doing a normal upload with a board that has serial port uploads will completely ignore the tools -> programmer selection, and instead attempt to use the selected serial port).

What are you trying to do, and why do you think that the USBAsp needs to act as a COM port for this? Either you are misunderstanding something, or attempting to use the USBAsp to do something that it can't do.
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

C_Raynor

What I have done in the past is used the USPasp for programming barebones -no bootloader- Pro Mini, and been able to use the serial monitor in the IDE.

You say the USBasp has never enumerated as a virtual com port, then how did that work? For sure, it doesn't now.

DrAzzy

Sep 22, 2019, 05:45 am Last Edit: Sep 22, 2019, 05:58 am by DrAzzy
What I have done in the past is used the USPasp for programming barebones -no bootloader- Pro Mini, and been able to use the serial monitor in the IDE.

You say the USBasp has never enumerated as a virtual com port, then how did that work? For sure, it doesn't now.
The only way that could have happened  is if you also had a USB-serial adapter connected to the TX/RX pins of the pro mini, at the same time you were using a USBAsp to program it. Like, the USBAsp gets connected to the SPI pins (arduino pins 11-13) and reset for ISP programming, and Serial uses the TX/RX pins (0 and 1). 

Interesting, I did a bit of digging - the standard USBAsp schematic does connect the TX and RX pins of the uC on the USBAsp to externally accessible pins, so theoretically firmware could be written that would provide both USBAsp functionality and a virtual serial port, and you'd be able to get serial monitor by connecting those to the serial pins of the device being programmed. I have never seen or heard of such a firmware version, however (my guess is that there's some technical reason, beyond "nobody bothered to write it")
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

pert

I have stumbled across the alternative USBasp firmware to use the RX and TX pins. However, I've never actually heard of anyone using a USBasp this way. I can't remember exactly what, but something made it clear to me it was going to be a huge hassle to give it a try.

It looks that there is something wrong with the drivers.

Try to fix it with Zadig. https://zadig.akeo.ie/

Both my programmers quit working without any reason from time to time (windows 7), so far zadig has always been the cure.
--
You never learn anything by doing it right.

Go Up