Go Down

Topic: wifi & BLe together (Read 283 times) previous topic - next topic

russell_roberts

Is it possible on the new boards with the new library to use blue tooth Bee & wifi together?

ie the MKR1010 boards
or the nano IOT

I would like to create a web server but also use the Bluetooth
Or I guess I could add a Ethernet shield to the MKR

Thanks Russell

russell_roberts

I got an answer fro arduino support

Unfortunately the answer is no. WiFi functionality (using the WiFiNINA library) cannot be used at the same time as BLE.

DrGee

I got an answer fro arduino support

Unfortunately the answer is no. WiFi functionality (using the WiFiNINA library) cannot be used at the same time as BLE.

I don't think that it is a WiFiNINA issue or a software issue at all. I think it is an ESP32 hardware issue. See, for example,  https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?t=6707 especially the last post, which spells it out in pretty easy to understand language..."The ESP32 only has one radio and only one antenna. This radio and antenna, if viewed in a somewhat simplified fashion, can be used for one of six things: send a WiFi packet, send a BT packet, listen for a WiFi packet, listen for a BT packet, receive a WiFi packet, receive a BT packet."...

I suppose you can do some "magic" to get close, but no amount of programming is going to change the hardware limitation.

Still, you can use WiFi and BLE sequentially. For example, I was just programming the MKR1010 to connect to my router and to an TIME server to set the internal RTC. Once that is completed, I end Wifi and Begin BLE and it does what it needs to do.

russell_roberts

Hi Again Dr Ghee
I have nothing further to add.

I will stick with the response I got from Arduino regarding simultaneous use of BLE and Wifi

Go Up