Go Down

Topic: Developing core code. How to back up effectively? (Read 769 times) previous topic - next topic

liuzengqiang

I am developing core code, specifically USB code in IDE 1.6.5-r5. I find it hard to have backups effectively. I did something right, code works. I got overconfident, made changes, code broke. I was like, what did I do?!

So I ended up installing the github desktop app and creating a git repo that resides in the "arduino-1.6.5-r5\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" folder and push changes every step. I wonder if this is what I'm supposed to do. It's not easy developing core code. There must be some core code developers out there with this issue/solution. I'm sure there is an easy way to roll back code with git. Just have not used it yet, since I take one step at a time now and only push to origin when I'm done with a particular feature.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

westfw

Sounds about right.  For a single, local, programmer, I find RCS to be a lot simpler than git.  But git is all the rage...

There is a (free) git online class that I liked here: https://classroom.udacity.com/courses/ud775
(was?  It seems to be hard to get to now; if you're not logged in, you seem to get redirected to a different class. )

liuzengqiang

Thanks westfw! I attempted several times to teach myself git and nothing stuck. Attended a workshop with git and python etc. Still I thought I understood but didn't start using git after that until this project I'm doing right now. I wasn't using git and lost work mainly to my stupidity (not logging what changes I made and erasing instead of block commenting code). In my defense, the arduino core USB code is poorly done, 1.6.5-r5 with mini block comments preventing me from block commenting effectively but I should've done my part. I felt the need to document my every step and grabbed the desktop git app. That helped. I could see what I changed between commits and have since not lost any work due to being more careful now than before. I will give RCS a try and will look for git classes now that I have a single use case (better than none).
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

Go Up