Go Down

Topic: Using a wall outlet as sensor to turn on sound? (Read 109 times) previous topic - next topic

katiedelaneyy

Hello,

I'm working on a playable wall of outlets that allows you to plug and unplug extension cords into wall outlets to turn sound on. Is there a way to program the hardware of an actual wall outlet to be my "sensor" that tells the Arduino to emit sound from the speakers I have set up?

Thanks!

hammy

There is no programmable hardware in a standard socket .
You could mount say an optical reflective sensor above the socket , where the light beam is broken when a plug is inserted.

I would be against trying to modify a socket itself.

Paul_KD7HB

Hello,

I'm working on a playable wall of outlets that allows you to plug and unplug extension cords into wall outlets to turn sound on. Is there a way to program the hardware of an actual wall outlet to be my "sensor" that tells the Arduino to emit sound from the speakers I have set up?

Thanks!
You are certainly NOT thinking of mains power outlets, are you? IF you are really working on that and using AC power outlets, you already know what is in one of the outlet devices. So, what are you REALLY trying to do?

Paul

jremington

Sep 18, 2019, 01:31 am Last Edit: Sep 18, 2019, 01:38 am by jremington
A standard wall power socket could be used as a low voltage switch, and as an Arduino input. Of course it would not be connected to the mains.

Just wire the two prongs of a replacement-type plug together, and insert the plug into the outlet to close the circuit.

DVDdoug

I'm working on a playable wall of outlets that allows you to plug and unplug extension cords into wall outlets to turn sound on.
Sorry...  Can you explain that again?

You can sense the presence (or absence) of voltage at the far-end of an extension cord.  Is that what you want to do?

david_2018

A standard wall power socket could be used as a low voltage switch, and as an Arduino input. Of course it would not be connected to the mains.

Just wire the two prongs of a replacement-type plug together, and insert the plug into the outlet to close the circuit.
That sounds incredibly dangerous if there is any chance of accidentally plugging the shorted plugs into a live outlet.  Much easier to just buy light switches, if you must use equipment designed for house wiring.

jremington

Sep 18, 2019, 04:39 am Last Edit: Sep 18, 2019, 05:24 am by jremington
I always and very, very firmly, recommend that people DO NOT insert a plug with no leads into a live wall socket. 

The same goes for screwdrivers, pocket knives and nails.

Go Up