Go Down

Topic: Analog input 0-10V (Read 9062 times) previous topic - next topic

ktalebian

Hi there,

I need to read an analog signal that operates from 0-10V. Arduino Uno only accepts 0-5V. Is there another board that I could use to cover the range? Or is my only option to use two analog inputs?

Thanks

RuggedCircuits

You can just divide your 0V-10V signal down to 0V-5V using a voltage divider:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

--
The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

Grumpy_Mike

Or is my only option to use two analog inputs?

That is not an option at all from what I can see. How would you propose to do that?

MarkT

Or is my only option to use two analog inputs?

That is not an option at all from what I can see. How would you propose to do that?

By being 'creative'?  Subtract 5V with a floating voltage source and then measure the resultant +/-5V differentially between two analog pins (again floating loosely)
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

retrolefty

By being 'creative'?  Subtract 5V with a floating voltage source and then measure the resultant +/-5V differentially between two analog pins (again floating loosely)

Arduino analog input pins are single ended and ground referenced. Can you provide a drawing showing your 'creative solution?

Lefty

MarkT

Think of a 'bridge tied load' output circuit and then think of it as an input circuit rather than output - you need some trick to hold the mean voltage of the +/-5V signal at 2.5V - basically this relies on the signal being measured being floating w.r.t. Arduino.   And then you need a 5.0V battery to subtract that 5V offset!
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

retrolefty

Think of a 'bridge tied load' output circuit and then think of it as an input circuit rather than output - you need some trick to hold the mean voltage of the +/-5V signal at 2.5V - basically this relies on the signal being measured being floating w.r.t. Arduino.   And then you need a 5.0V battery to subtract that 5V offset!

That sure sounds like a foxtrot uniform solution.  ;)

MarkT

Compared to two 10k resistors, yes!

Grumpy_Mike

And then you need a 5.0V battery to subtract that 5V offset!

Seen many 5v batteries then?

Go Up