Powering a DC airplane motor with 120VAC

I am interested in powering an 1800 watt airplane DC motor with 120VAC at <15 amps, so basically straight from the wall.
How do I deal with the ESC and possibility of hitting 60 amps with the motor?
What else should I look into?
This is the motor I am interested in

Thanks for the help

Look for somebody who can hinder you in your attempt to do so !

Larson1408:
I am interested in powering an 1800 watt airplane DC motor with 120VAC at <15 amps, so basically straight from the wall.

DON'T

Someone will get hurt, perhaps badly.

Or a fire will start.

Learn the difference between AC and DC and learn how electric motors work.

...R

You can't power a DC motor "basically straight from the wall".

You could use a power supply to provide the DC needed. Something like 24V 80A should work for that motor. E.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998802235.html?

Steve

I am an aerospace engineer, so I understand the basics of ac and dc.
And I know it cant be powered straight from wall. What i am asking is are there products to convert ac to dc that could handle this 80A motor

slipstick:
You can't power a DC motor "basically straight from the wall".

You could use a power supply to provide the DC needed. Something like 24V 80A should work for that motor. E.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998802235.html?

Steve

Slipstick, thank you this is pretty darn close to what I am looking for. I need to be able to adjust voltage to control rpm. Would this work the same way with an ESC basically replacing the battery

Larson1408:
Slipstick, thank you this is pretty darn close to what I am looking for. I need to be able to adjust voltage to control rpm. Would this work the same way with an ESC basically replacing the battery

Wrong way round. A standard RC system with a brushless motor goes Battery > ESC > Motor. The power supply replaces the battery. You still need an 80A ESC because brushless motors do not run from plain DC. They need the ESC which effectively replaces the commutator in a brushed motor and it's the ESC (Electronic Speed Control) that controls the motor speed.

Steve

slipstick:
Wrong way round. A standard RC system with a brushless motor goes Battery > ESC > Motor. The power supply replaces the battery. You still need an 80A ESC because brushless motors do not run from plain DC. They need the ESC which effectively replaces the commutator in a brushed motor and it's the ESC (Electronic Speed Control) that controls the motor speed.

Steve

Yes, that is what I meant to say, was writing it from my phone and either worded it wrong or missed a comma. Thanks a lot for the info!

Hi,
What are the specs of your motor?
Power. voltage, current?
Brushed or brushless.

What ESC do you have, links to specs/data would help.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Larson1408:
How do I deal with the ESC and possibility of hitting 60 amps with the motor?
What else should I look into?
This is the motor I am interested in

E-flite Power 60 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 470Kv, 4mm Bullet | Horizon Hobby

Thanks for the help

NEVER EVER DO THIS.

This is about the most dangerous suggestion I've seen.

It is not a DC motor, its a 3-phase BLDC. It needs 3-phase drive of about 20V to 30V max, with
active current detection and control.
It is not rated for mains in any way at all. It has a winding resistance of 0.02 ohms which would
in theory blow most of the fuses between you and the street mains simultaneously as it explodes in
your face.

A 20V 60A BLDC motor is not a mains 120V 15A motor.