Go Down

Topic: Unused midi ccs on one channel (Read 346 times) previous topic - next topic

BNomad

Sep 21, 2019, 07:11 pm Last Edit: Sep 21, 2019, 07:13 pm by BNomad
Hi guys,
Beginner here building a midi controller, maybe you can help me get my head around something.

I started off my project with 6 pots and a few switches. So far I have the pots running in a bank with 4 channels and a switch to change address. I have tested out a bunch of other stuff, leds, buttons etc.

I'm using the midi.library, which is awesome, and so far i'm learning ok, but...

If I set the bank to change address, then 6 pots in a bank of 4 will use 24 midi ccs.

I want to build a controller for vst synths with:
9 pots in bank of 4.
12 pots in another bank of 4.
15 individual pots
18 buttons

for the pots that adds up to 99 midi ccs.

When I look at the list of midi ccs, it seems that about 40 are unused. Does that mean we are limited to 40 controls on one midi channel?

Are any of the other ccs not really used?

PieterP

The CC numbers defined by the MIDI standard don't really matter for most DAW applications, because you can map them to anything you want. This means you can use up to 120 controllers per channel [0, 119].
Other software, and especially MIDI instruments, samplers and synthesizers may have specific functions assigned to some of the CCs.

Pieter

BNomad

The CC numbers defined by the MIDI standard don't really matter for most DAW applications, because you can map them to anything you want. This means you can use up to 120 controllers per channel [0, 119].
Other software, and especially MIDI instruments, samplers and synthesizers may have specific functions assigned to some of the CCs.

Pieter
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I will have go through a few synths I use and test out which ccs are used.

Go Up