Go Down

Topic: xyz movemnt of robot (Read 478 times) previous topic - next topic

suraa

I am very new to Arduino. So, bear with me on this question.
I want to TEACH an Arduino powered robot its movements. So, instead of coding the x,y,z coordinates, I plan to manually move the robot to the desired path and expect the Arduino to record the movement/path/x,y,z coordinates. I will then ask the robot to follow the route whenever I need to. I will be using motors with hall sensors to know the position. Is this feasible? If so, what are the steps in coding?
Thanks in advance for your help.

jremington

Sep 23, 2019, 12:28 am Last Edit: Sep 23, 2019, 12:30 am by jremington
To estimate the position of a wheeled robot in the XY plane, many people use wheel encoders to measure distance traveled and change of orientation from a starting point. From those measurements, you can work out the approximate position. However, wheels slip, so this is not very accurate.

Likewise, you can instruct the robot to move to an approximate (X, Y) position by giving wheel commands.

Delta_G

If so, what are the steps in coding?
If you are really very new, then the first steps will be to learn the basics of coding.  This is a pretty advanced project for someone with no knowledge of coding.  Get started with something simpler to learn the concepts and then start working with something like this. 

Can you make the bot move forward and backward with code?  Can you record the pulses from the hall sensors to tell how far it has gone? 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

slipstick

"Robots" can mean anything from cars to walkers to humanoids to robotic arms to automated drones and they're all very different (e.g. many don't have a z component of movement). Perhaps you should start by describing the specific robot you're thinking of, in some detail please.

Steve

FEBaily

Oct 03, 2019, 07:40 am Last Edit: Oct 03, 2019, 08:19 am by FEBaily
I plan to manually move the robot to the desired path
Does that mean (for example, since as slipstick points out you didn't say what kind of robot you contemplate) that you would push (edit: as in, force) a sort of car around the floor? That may have interesting consequences for the motors and gearing and other mechanical parts.

Or does that mean you will move it (edit: as in, drive) by remote control?

the x,y,Z coordinates
Is this robot actually moving in free air, like a drone, or is the z just a consequence of the x,y landscape not being flat.

Go Up