Go Down

Topic: Halloween project for Arduino (Read 222 times) previous topic - next topic

One_Guy_One_Blog

Hello, my friends, I made a quick Halloween project for Arduino.

It emulates lightning and thunder by flashing white LED strips and playing thunder sound files (mp3). It only requires some basic components:

• Arduino Nano
  • DFPlayer Mini MP3 player module
  • Micro SD card (8 GB)
  • Breadboard and jumper wires
  • MOSFET (1x IRFZ44N)
  • Resistors (2x 1K)
  • LED strip (5m, 12V, cool white)
  • Test leads with alligator clips
  • Power supply (12V, 2A)

This is not a "sound to light" system. The sketch (randomly) flashes the LEDs first and then plays the sound file after a short (random) delay. I think that's more realistic than flashing the LEDs in reaction to the volume of the sound like other projects/systems do.

In the near future, I want to convert it from Arduino to ESP8266 or ESP32.

Find the project description on my blog: Lightning & thunder: Arduino Halloween DIY project

Watch the short YouTube movie here: Lightning & thunder: Arduino Halloween DIY project

Adrianotiger

A nice project!
I made a similar project using the same components for a sky (sky with 60 leds + cloud with 60 leds) and the DFplayer, simulating thunders and rain with the leds :D

If you just play a short sound (up to 20-30 seconds), you can try the WT588D, so you don't need a TF-card.

I used a BT-module to setup it over my smartphone, but on a new project I would also use an ESP32 :)
On the ESP32 you could also play MP3 and WAV over 2 output pins.

One_Guy_One_Blog

Hi Adrianotiger, I never heard of the WT588D. It looks interesting, I will try to find one for some experimentation.

I made a similar project using the same components for a sky (sky with 60 leds + cloud with 60 leds) and the DFplayer, simulating thunders and rain with the leds :D

This sounds awesome, do you have any information on this project online somewhere? I would love to see it  8)

Adrianotiger

Hi,
Yes I made some videos:
Youtube channel

And a blog:
http://roomsky.projects.petrucci.ch/

I was impressed of the power of the Arduino Mega, I attached a lot of devices on it. Since it is in the Kids room, I didn't wanted any wireless devices, so the BT will power off automatically after 5 minutes if not used.

If you want download the code you can check this:
https://hackaday.io/project/13143-roomsky

But I used the DFrobot device too in this project. In a project like yours I would use the WT588D, since you just jave 5-10 waves and each has only 5-10 seconds.

ScottHooper

Hi,
Yes I made some videos:
Youtube channel

And a blog

I was impressed of the power of the Arduino Mega, I attached a lot of devices on it. Since it is in the Kids room, I didn't wanted any wireless devices, so the BT will power off automatically after 5 minutes if not used.

If you want download the code you can check this:
https://hackaday.io/project/13143-roomsky

But I used the DFrobot device too in this project. In a project like yours I would use the WT588D, since you just jave 5-10 waves and each has only 5-10 seconds.

I really like your youtube channel, great videos. Thank you for sharing!

Go Up