Go Down

Topic: Priceless in a really sad way. (Read 5672 times) previous topic - next topic

Qdeathstar

Macro level folks. The more you consume the more you produce. You produce more because of greed. You produce more because you can sell it.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Delta_G

Macro level folks. The more you consume the more you produce. You produce more because of greed. You produce more because you can sell it.
Oh I got you.  You mean as a society.  Yeah, you gotta produce all that stuff to consume. 
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Delta_G

Oh I got you.  You mean as a society.  Yeah, you gotta produce all that stuff to consume. 
You know the more I think about it the more I think QDS has got the root of the problem here.  All the production and consumption, we see it as a cycle where each side fills the other but that isn't the case at all.  The consumption requires the production but doesn't drive it.  The production is from a limited pool of resources.  There's only so much oil and iron and gold and other stuff in the world.  And even with the renewable stuff there's only so much you can take at once without killing it.  Think of trees, you can cut down a few trees from your forest every year and never ever run out of trees, but the first time you cut a bunch of trees you suddenly have none left all at once. 

So all this consumption it does have a cost.  And arguing that it creates jobs is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  Yeah, of course it creates jobs and that's not a good thing.  Who wants more jobs?  I wish I didn't need one.  And I wouldn't if I wasn't hooked on all the consumption.  The messed up thing is that the majority of what the average person spends money on besides basic survival is just more stuff to help them get to work or keep a job.  It's a vicious cycle.  You have to work so you can get to work.  It's madness I tells ya. 

Once upon a time we lived in caves and hunted and gathered for what we had.  I'm sure things were harder physically, but so were we.  I'm not so convinced that the primitive life wasn't the better one.  I don't know that I'd be able to live it as I am now.  Actually I'm sure I'm too soft.  But between the ancient ones and us, I'm not sure who should really envy whom.  At least then the things that killed you were natural and not the product of mankind breaking nuclear bonds for the purposes of making war. 

And I know not a one of those ancient cave dwellers was waking up at the break of dawn, scraping his face with a sharp knife and trudging off to do someone else's work for less than what it was worth.  Back then you may not have much but you were in total control of your own destiny.  If you are ambitious and gather more berries then you are the one who gets to eat them. 

If you really want my opinion of the current state of the human race, I think the only real solution for the situation this particular species of ape has gotten itself into will be a comet or a pandemic.  As evidence I give you the renaissance in Europe immediately following the plague as all the wealth and lands of the great houses that were now dead got split back up among the survivors. 

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Qdeathstar

Oct 06, 2019, 05:17 am Last Edit: Oct 06, 2019, 05:20 am by Qdeathstar
Don't credit me with it. Robin posted long ago about if humans are really better off now than they were 300 years ago.

Thought it was a crazy statement at the time...

Producing does create jobs, but like anything there is diminishing returns... and with AI and machine learning we are really close to an inversion.... though I think it would be difficult to sustain for long before it all folded like a deck of cards.

Delta_G

I've actually thought about it a lot lately.  My dream scenario for the world isn't zombie apocalypse.  Mine is that there is some cataclysm of physics that causes electricity to somehow just stop working in any way that humans can understand.  All the lights go out.  No generators.  No batteries.  If you want light then you better have a match. 

I think that one would play out in interesting ways. 

Qdeathstar

Dunno, we also have a mastery of hydraulics now as a substitute.

Delta_G

Dunno, we also have a mastery of hydraulics now as a substitute.
I can just imagine big hoses hung on old power poles carrying hydraulic power to the masses. 

Qdeathstar

That's the beauty of hydraulics though. The economies of scale/scope mean a small hydraulic plant can create quite a bit of power. 

Weight I think would be the biggest trade off. Natural gas could provide lighting/heat efficiently and I imaging it is possible to create a hydraulic compressor for cooling...

But, really, if electricity stopped working we'd all be mush....

Robin2

Happiness is being content with what you have (and I did not originate that!)

It is chasing after more and more and more that is the cause of global warming and also most military conflicts.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

GoForSmoke

When what you produce is a mass extinction event just so you can think you're great, you're really just $#!+.

1) http://gammon.com.au/blink  <-- tasking Arduino 1-2-3
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial <-- techniques howto
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts
Your sketch can sense ongoing process events in time.
Your sketch can make events to control it over time.

ardly

It's not a blank philosophical question either.   This is the basic philosophical dilemma between  capitalism (the rich man can have what he can afford regardless of what the poor man has) or communism (we all get the same no matter what).   There is no option where you don't have to take something from someone if your goal is to make things fair.  
In my opinion pure capitalism and pure communism are both doomed to fail, but you don't need to make a binary choice between two extremes.

In Sweden if a man fathers a child he can get a year off with pay and his job will be there when he gets back. He also does not need to take the year when the child is born but can take it when the child is a bit older. Obviously the Swedish state pays but they feel it benefits their society and makes for a healthier happier population.

As far a health goes Capitalism and Insurance are about the worst way anybody could chose to fund medicine. It is expensive and stresses people at a time when they are ill. Insurance always has levels, exclusions, limits etc. Capitalism does not fund research into diseases of the poor, nor will it risk the large sums needed to possibly manage to bring new antibiotics to market.

As for chosing whether a poor man gets treatment or not; in general in an emergency it is all hands on deck, if you cut your arm off they will try to sew it back on. The problem is if you need expensive long term drugs or treatment. Then it is experts who decide if the treatment (not the person) is worth funding. Society as a whole decides if the funding is at a high enough level.

As for using hydraulics I have never seen a hydraulic light bulb so I think life would be limited without electricity and distribution would be a problem, though we do have piped water. However in Sweden a long time ago they found some very good iron ore deposits. The problem was that the mines kept flooding and they could not pump the water out (this is before the days of steam engines). The Swedes were good at using rivers to power machinery but the rivers were miles from the mines. They found a solution though. They built mechanical energy transmission lines!!! They built water wheels and then miles of wood levers made of large beams which transmitted the the mechanical energy to the mines to drive pumps.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

raymw

In the Uk, there were many hydraulic power systems. steam engines raised water to tanks on top of towers, and pipes ran to various factories in the area to power the machinery. Here's just one example http://www.whatsinwapping.co.uk/wapping-hydraulic-power-station/

Delta_G

Oct 08, 2019, 02:48 am Last Edit: Oct 08, 2019, 02:50 am by Delta_G
In Sweden if a man fathers a child he can get a year off with pay and his job will be there when he gets back. He also does not need to take the year when the child is born but can take it when the child is a bit older. Obviously the Swedish state pays but they feel it benefits their society and makes for a healthier happier population.
But we were talking about fairness.  How is this fair to the person who has no children?  Or worse yet, the one who can't?  He or she has to pay extra in taxes to subsidize years off for their neighbor who has 6. 

ardly

But we were talking about fairness.  How is this fair to the person who has no children?  Or worse yet, the one who can't?  He or she has to pay extra in taxes to subsidize years off for their neighbor who has 6.  
It is perfectly fair. Why should the neighbour who clearly has no problems with fertility subsidise the couple next door to have IVF. Why should somebody in good health pay for somebody else to have a lung transplant and then expensive immune supression treatment for life.

The reason is because no individual knows what fate has in store for them and the best thing for society and even individuals is to provide a "reasonable" level of collective care. Society decides what is reasonable. In Sweden they obviously think that looking after children will make for a better society and possibly even save them money; less marriage breakups, better adjusted children, less crime.

Some people seem to fixate on the idea that people will abuse the system but in reality I think abuse is really very small.

Take your example of births. As well as fantastic parental leave Sweden has one of the safest maternity systems in the world. You would expect a booming population and it does indeed have one of the highest birth rates in Europe but it is only 1.85 births per woman, so hardly excessive. Somebody having 6 children would be helping them keep their population stable!

There will always be some wastage in any system through abuse but it makes no sense at all to spend ten times the amount to avoid it and make everybody less happy in the process.

ardly

Oct 08, 2019, 11:24 am Last Edit: Oct 08, 2019, 11:27 am by ardly
In the Uk, there were many hydraulic power systems. steam engines raised water to tanks on top of towers, and pipes ran to various factories in the area to power the machinery. Here's just one example http://www.whatsinwapping.co.uk/wapping-hydraulic-power-station/
I was expecting people to ask is it April 1st.
You are still going far too high tec. though.
Think pre-steam, think wood, think 1500s.

Here is a Swedish Stangenkunst

I have been thinking about mechanical light bulbs. They might actually be possible. If you throw in a bit of chemistry is there any reason you cannot convert mechaninical energy into light by mixing, compressing or pounding some alchemic mixture. It would be very inefficient and the bulbs would be big but it might be possible :)

Go Up