Self docking problem

Delta_G:
How does your robot currently navigate.

I had to find very cheap way. So I didn't get any LIDAR or camera to navigate. I have simply two steppers which are attached on wheels. So when it start from dock, it can count the number of turns and calculate the distance traveled. It might make mistakes when the wheels turns idle or hit something. But I think at least it can turn the main room and dock itself with the help of IR.

But here is the problem; what if the robot does not start working from the dock?

Additionally, I can get your advice about navigating. Im not sure this stepper solution is gonna work fine but I cant spend much money and I dont want to use systems like camera which make the project much more complicated.

jremington:
Find a room with the IR signal, and dock in the usual way.

Consider putting a charger in every room. The robot might run out of power searching.

It might not get any IR signal if they are far from each other. Plus, I dont think putting charger in every room is a useful idea!

jackthom41:
For such projects, you have to use localization by storing map in your robot, a little AI is required for that.

You can make something like The robot save all the path(covering) in its memory and the starting point of the robot is its charging unit. So, when it gets a signal of low power then it simply move back to its home position.

Now its up to you how efficient you could make the code, like instead of moving back the exact path, it should take the shortest distance approach with obstacle avoidance.

Yeah that's what I want to do with that stepper system in my mind. But it can make mistakes and moreover there is a problem when the robot does not start working from the dock. I want to make sure that robot will find its dock somehow.

I might give up with this feature, this is becoming confusing. Starting from the dock may be a necessity.