Go Down

Topic: Arduino IDE need improvements ! Händling isn´t good ! (Read 2584 times) previous topic - next topic

tswoshman

Hello,

I started coding Arduino a while ago, it works so far but this software needs a few changes to make the handling better !

I have a problem with the auto save funktion !
If I change a sketch and I close it, the changes getting saved without asking. Sometimes I want to try something but I don´t want to save it.

If I want to try something I have to make a copy of the code and then I can make my experiments without messing with the original code. That realy sucks !
How can I change this. If I close a sketch I want to be asked if the changes may be saved or not. this is not happening !

Can someone help ?

The next Problem I have, there is no propper error message system ! If there is an error you never know why !!!

Sucks even more !

Other compiler can do this ! Why isn´t it possible that the makers of Arduino can do this propperly ?

How can I contact the programmers of the Arduino IDE to tell them this problem ?

Why did nobody realize this issue jet ??? Am I making something wrong ???

cheers,
Tswoshman

groundFungus

Sep 29, 2019, 01:17 pm Last Edit: Sep 29, 2019, 01:17 pm by groundFungus
You can disable the auto save in File, Preferences.

You can use a different IDE.  There are many to choose from.
You will save everyone's time if you read and follow the forum guidelines.  https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

Paul__B

A lot of comments for a newbie!

Yes, the recent IDE versions save to compile.  This is what most people will want.  Earlier versions did not.

If you want to fork, you save as a new filename.

Plenty of compile error messages.  Option for verbosity.  What is it you actually want?

septillion

Why did nobody realize this issue jet ??? Am I making something wrong ???
Because we opened the settings and actually looked at the errors ;)
Use fricking code tags!!!!
I want x => I would like x, I need help => I would like help, Need fast => Go and pay someone to do the job...

NEW Library to make fading leds a piece of cake
https://github.com/septillion-git/FadeLed

6v6gt

Making a copy of the sketch (provided it has no subdirectories - which I hardly ever use for AVR stuff) is trivial. Use "saveas". I always do it incrementing the version number as soon as I have made some meaningful changes that appear to work, so I have somewhere to go back to if the working version is a complete mess and has to be abandoned.
I start with say mySketch_V0_01 and continue from there.

Use the "preferences" option to change the error and warning message default settings.

pert

The next Problem I have, there is no propper error message system ! If there is an error you never know why !!!

Sucks even more !

Other compiler can do this ! Why isn´t it possible that the makers of Arduino can do this propperly ?
Detailed error messages are printed to the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window. Arduino uses high quality open source C++ compilers that are used by millions of professional developers all over the world every day. Arduino does not use a specialized compiler.

pert

How can I contact the programmers of the Arduino IDE to tell them this problem ?
You haven't pointed out any valid problems yet, but we very much welcome your feedback. It's best to post here on the forum first to get input from the community before taking up the time of the Arduino developers. If it looks like you have brought up a valid defect or enhancement, there is a process where you can bring that to the developer's attention. In the future, please post this sort of topic to the "Suggestions for the Arduino Project" forum section, which is specifically made for this sort of thing.

I have now moved this topic to the appropriate forum section.

Delta_G

If I want to try something I have to make a copy of the code and then I can make my experiments without messing with the original code. That realy sucks !
That doesn't suck.  You just haven't realized why you should want it that way. 

Smart programmers keep the old versions and write new code on new files.  That way when things don't work you can get back to where you were. 

|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

Datman

Yes, the recent IDE versions save to compile.  This is what most people will want.  Earlier versions did not.
>:( It could be that earlier most people didn't ask anything about it because they liked it as it was...
Hi,I'm Gianluca from Roma.I play&work with electronics since I was16(1984).
After 25yrs of maintenance on cameras&video mixers,since 2013myJob is HDTVstudios design.
Since Jan2015 IPlayWith Arduino:bit.ly/2F3LPWP
Thanks 4 a Karma if U like my answer

JohnRob

If I want to try a code change and suspect I may have to abandon it for the earlier version I simply zip the INO and H and whatever is needed.

I actually name each Zip file with:  interim02, interim03 etc.   My only issue is I can forget what each one might have that was since changed BUT I still have all the old versions to hunt for what I need.
Yes I could but the equivalent of "read.me" file but often I start thinking a change will be minor and making a zip file takes literally 20 to 30 seconds.
Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

pert

My only issue is I can forget what each one might have that was since changed
Learn to use Git. It allows you to write a commit message that describes each change you made. It also has nice diff functionality that allows you to compare one version to the other.

Go Up