Go Down

Topic: Payment interface for car wash (Read 720 times) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Agree with that, other than a basic Arduino will get busy trying to run continuous animation on a larger screen.
nothing wrong with a Pi properly mounted & designed in... or just go for a full custom PCB if the time & budget allows,

I did mention that it's not a difficult *software* project.

Hardware in a wet industrial environment will always be tricky.
The best approach is to do it properly rather than quick & cheap.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

zwieblum

Oh, which reminds me of another question: Why the heck a touchinterface for a carwash ? Why not take vandalism resistand waterproof chromecoated buttons and just replace the display? As a customer I would be pissed if the carwash switches programs when the display get's wet - and chances are that the given budget will not allow a propper solution for this particular problem.

car-wash

Oct 09, 2019, 09:08 pm Last Edit: Oct 09, 2019, 09:21 pm by car-wash
Thanks for the answers. The washing system has been operating for 10 years as it is at present without problems with the wet working environment. For this problem with waterproofing I found a solution against water: The interface part will be made of 2 pieces of plexiglass, one to which I will add the graphic design that includes uv printing or paint the interface. In order to have UV protection of the led matrix we will have to glue foil like the one used in cars. After gluing the buttons on the plexiglass sheet I mount it in the frame that I will make from stainless steel. In the front I will add a new sheet of transparent plexiglass to offer protection against vandalism, in case a person hits, scratch, paint the interface I only have to change the first piece of plexiglass.
The touch screen buttons will not be connected to the Arduino but will be connected instead of the existing ones and to the same wires that lead to the motherboard. So as not to complicate the project too much and there are no problems in operation. I need more of the programming and implementation part of the animations and contdown timer for the rgb led display. And to check beforehand if we can connect to the 4 existing wires this matrix led module. Personally I think that through 2 of the 4 electrical wires a signal passes to activate the display functions.
I think if I use a hmi display it is much easier to vandalize than an additional matrix led display which can cause many more operating errors.

Seeing the age of the electrical parts and circuits that are part of this installation, I do not think they have done complicated things or that will complicate things. I call this for 2 reasons: 1 operating errors 2 difficult to fix the operating errors. The company that designed and marketed this installation sells complete electronic modules and components

zwieblum

Sorry, maybe I did not make myself clear on the point on touchscreens and water: You will need a proven working solution for touchscreens in wet environment like this one: https://www.noritake-elec.com/products/lcd-touch-screen You do this to replace 4 buttons. This is what I don't get.

6v6gt

Where are you in France, incidentally ?
I think the key to this is having someone locally who can help you. An important activity will be understanding how the motherboard talks to the display module.
There is a French language section of this forum. Maybe you have better luck there of at least finding someone at your location: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=33.0

car-wash

Sorry, maybe I did not make myself clear on the point on touchscreens and water: You will need a proven working solution for touchscreens in wet environment like this one: https://www.noritake-elec.com/products/lcd-touch-screen You do this to replace 4 buttons. This is what I don't get.
these are the kind of touch screen buttons  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRD62bHgEUI&t=13s

zwieblum

Nice buttons, but look at the datasheet. Do they work in wet environment? No. What will happen when water spashes over the screen? Erratic button presses. Will the consumer be delighted? Sure ...

Go Up