Go Down

Topic: How do I wire up a 8 ohm 0.5W speaker to leads (Read 417 times) previous topic - next topic

sebastiz1

I have a simple project and [probably a simple question. Im just trying to get some output from my arduino board into a speaker. The problem is that the speaker I have bought has no leads. It has an area which says '-' and '+'. Do I have to solder leads onto it. If so do I literally just solder onto the '+' and '-' sign. The speakers are identical to this: https://www.wish.com/product/57cabe1888ffbe182b6e1858?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=57cabe1888ffbe182b6e1858&ad_cc=GB&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=1.00&campaign_id=6493229882&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk87Bv--A5QIVRbTtCh3X6AWXEAQYAyABEgJIvvD_BwE

DVDdoug

DO NOT connect an 8-Ohm speaker directly to an Arduino!   The "absolute maximum" allowable current from an Arduino I/O pin is 40mA (0.040 Amps).    From Ohm's Law we can calculate 5V/0.040A = 125 Ohms MINIMUM.

You can add a series resistor but that will reduce the volume.  

An amplifier (or "powered" computer speakers) is the best solution.     Or since the Arduino doesn't put-out analog-audio, you can get-away with a MOSFET or transistor driver circuit.   One advantage of an amplifier is a volume control.   A volume control (potentiometer) won't work with a simple driver circuit.

Yes, you'd have to solder.   Most speakers can be connected with quick-disconnects, but I think that one has to be soldered.    Those are normally crimped to the wire (with a crimping tool) or sometimes they can be soldered (which doesn't help you).

For temporary connections, sometimes you can use alligator clips, but it doesn't look like that speaker has anything to clip onto.

Go Up