Go Down

Topic: Library to control 16*16 WS2812B full RGB color LED matrix (Read 912 times) previous topic - next topic

SergeS

Could anyone recommend any good advanced free library to control 16x16 WS2812B full RGB color LED matrix?
Looking to draw and animate some graphic primitives such as lines, rectangles, ovals, characters (?), gradients and shifts. I believe some wrappers for FastLED are existing?

SergeS

PaulRB

AdaFruit have a library for ws2812b matrices. But it uses their own NeoPixel library, not FastLED library.

Grumpy_Mike

Wow... No recommendations? Not at all?
Because you don't need a library to control them other than the normal WS2812 drivers. So it is hard to recommend one.

What do you want a library to do for you that is not trivial to code yourself?

Idahowalker

An advanced LED strip library when using the ESP32 is the Adafruit_NeoPixel.h. The ESP32 Adafruit_NeoPixel.h the library is written in C and uses some of the ESP32's OS, freeRTOS, library to facilitate operations.

SergeS

AdaFruit have a library for ws2812b matrices. But it uses their own NeoPixel library, not FastLED library.
Ok, thank you, will look.

SergeS

Because you don't need a library to control them other than the normal WS2812 drivers. So it is hard to recommend one.

What do you want a library to do for you that is not trivial to code yourself?
Everything that could be done with libraries, also could be done without. The question is in code reuse, if somebody already have done such thing and ready to share, why to reinvent bicycle?

I am looking for library to do, as mentioned above, some graphics primitive figures and operations - draw rectangles, ovals, lines, 2d color gradients, shifts, characters. Probably, it may be not so hard to do by myself, but before starting to work on it, i am looking for library, which can make  the task is easier...

SergeS

An advanced LED strip library when using the ESP32 is the Adafruit_NeoPixel.h. The ESP32 Adafruit_NeoPixel.h the library is written in C and uses some of the ESP32's OS, freeRTOS, library to facilitate operations.
Someone has already mentioned library from Adafruit, but it seems to be anothe one. Thank you, will look.

Grumpy_Mike

if somebody already have done such thing and ready to share, why to reinvent bicycle?
Because if you can't reinvent the bicycle then you will never learn how to invent anything.

SergeS

Because if you can't reinvent the bicycle then you will never learn how to invent anything.
BS, I CAN reinvent bicycles and i did it so many times to be fed up with this. So now, before start to do it again, i am looking around  to see what to reuse.

Grumpy_Mike

BS, I CAN reinvent bicycles and i did it so many times to be fed up with this.
Quite honestly I don't believe you.

SergeS

Quite honestly I don't believe you.
Ok, it is not bother me :-) We are here not to believe...

Thanks you to those who point me to Adafruit_NeoMatrix library (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide/neomatrix-library), it is very useful.

SergeS

There are also some good samples here: https://alexgyver.ru/gyverlamp/
Russian language, so Google translator may help.

Go Up