Go Down

Topic: missing information about used RAM after compiliation (Read 328 times) previous topic - next topic

RudolfAtRTC

Near all (?) board types shows the amount of used flash and used RAM after compilation. But the Nano 33 IOT shows only the used flash.
The board has 32 kB of RAM, that's a huge. But it endet sometimes - so this information should be given.

ballscrewbob

In CREATE  and 1.8.10 the amount is shown both for a simple verify and an upload.

Sketch uses 72508 bytes (7%) of program storage space. Maximum is 983040 bytes.
Global variables use 1408 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 260736 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Are you sure about what you see or did it scroll up the screen and you missed it ?

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

RudolfAtRTC

What is CREATE? I'm using 1.8.10 on a Windows 10 bases PC.

ballscrewbob

CREATE

The IDE's will tell you when you get close to or exceed the limit of a particular board also btw.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

@ballscrewbob there are two types of memory: flash and ram. When you compile for an AVR board or many other architectures, the Arduino Web Editor and the Arduino IDE both will tell you the usage of each type of memory by your program:
Code: [Select]
Sketch uses 802 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 49152 bytes.
Global variables use 22 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6122 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 6144 bytes.

However, when you compile for a SAMD board, only the flash memory usage is displayed:
Code: [Select]
Sketch uses 10900 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
That happens no matter whether you're using Arduino Web Editor or the Arduino IDE.

I don't know why this is missing for that architecture. I suspect there is a good technical reason for it. Arduino would not just leave that information off arbitrarily.

Go Up