Go Down

Topic: Desktop CNC advice request (Read 5660 times) previous topic - next topic

DangerToMyself

Sounds like the steps and acceleration figures are incorrect.

If its identical hardware just export the settings from UGS using the known good one and them import them into the dodgy one.

Power supply issues can also come into it too.

Bob.

Turns out this new stepper shield didn't have the jumpers installed for setting the micro stepping. Guess I should have pulled the A4988 modules off and looked under them. Live and learn. Properly jumped and seems to be working correctly again.

ballscrewbob

Well that was an easy fix for you.

Got a ramps 1.6 on Friday so have some testing to do this week.
Hopefully my motor brushes come in too this week as it smells like a forest fire down here with the big laser running and I really need to get a spindle back up.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

DangerToMyself

Well that was an easy fix for you.

Got a ramps 1.6 on Friday so have some testing to do this week.
Hopefully my motor brushes come in too this week as it smells like a forest fire down here with the big laser running and I really need to get a spindle back up.

I have got to get me a laser! (I grew up on wood heat. I miss the smell of wood smoke in the air.).  All in due time, I suppose. Have to get where I can actually produce something with a spindle first.

My circuit I did had an issue I couldn't find. Think I possibly overheated one of the opto-isolators. Regardless, I have a revised version in the works. Hope I can do a better job soldering it though.

DangerToMyself

I suppose I'll eventually look into upgrading from GRBL. So, learn all you can on the Ramps! I'll have questions one day :D

ballscrewbob

Ramps board will be commanded by GRBL but so far just on a test bed so no real action.

Didn't want to play around swapping parts out on the 1.4 board so got one that was 24 volt compliant already.
It will be driving some TB6600 drivers I have on my shopping list for some NEMA 23's also on my shopping list.

Bit of a hybrid machine in the planning.
All stock items so easy to repair or replace.

Want to retire one of the home brew to just laser work.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

DangerToMyself

Hope the testing is going well!

Even with thread locker I can't seem to keep these couplers from loosening up during operation. So, ordered a new set of the clamping style. In the meantime, I'm going to tear my machine down (partially) to get good measurements on the Z axis parts. Need those to plan for getting rid of the printed parts when I upgrade to the better spindle.

Plus, I followed a video or two on how to assemble this thing. Seems those videos are wrong, IMO. With the way it's shown in photos and assembled in videos, the spindle is no where near the center of Y travel. Noticed that when getting full travel measurements for designing my waste board. Shouldn't be too difficult to remedy though.

ballscrewbob

Yet the only issue I have had is when I trashed a couple by repeatedly banging it against one end.
Never had a loose one (she said)

On mine it was a X that wasn't quite right but that was just slacken two screws and move it in its slots for a few mm.

Yea a lot of the destructions have some issues...
Being a millwright I took some of them with a pinch of salt.

Not had chance to test, doing some jobs for the missus instead before I get frozen out of the garage.

DangerToMyself

In my reassembly to get the spindle centered, I found the issue with the couplers. At least the one that has been giving me fits. Which is the one on the Z axis. I removed that coupler and noticed that the lead screw it went to was nearly 1/8 inch higher than the motor shaft. So, there was some binding going on causing things to come loose. I added a spacer under the gantry where the lead screw mounts which got it closer to being aligned. It's not perfect. But better. I will measure everything ten ways from Sunday when I next have time to see if anything else is thrown off by that spacer. New couplers on the way are flexible. So, that should help as well.

I'll also add some pictures of how I changed the assembly to get the spindle closer to the center of the gantry in case someone else with a 3018 runs across this thread.

DangerToMyself

Dec 27, 2019, 12:20 am Last Edit: Dec 27, 2019, 12:21 am by DangerToMyself
Hey Bob! Guess what was in a box on my porch when I got home a bit ago from Christmas at my brother's.

Well, if you guessed a cyclone you'd be correct. :D I found a "damaged box" Dust Deputy for cheap on eBay and ordered it because the Chinese ones that were located in the states were only about $10 cheaper.

I thought I was getting the cyclone only. I was wrong! It's the entire kit. Wheels, 2 buckets, gasket and couplers, and the cyclone. The box was indeed messed up. But the product is A-1.

Hope your Christmas was as awesome as mine this year. Great times with family and friends here. And then this.

ballscrewbob

Now that is a bargain !
Once you have it hooked up and manage to stop vacuuming the whole house long enough to check the bucket and your vac filter you will see how neat these things are.

There are some "tweaks" you can make for other uses but I will let you google "hydrocyclone"
PS don't be scared by the bucket doing a small amount of collapse and sudden loud noises... small adjustments to the vac flow rates on the input side are a quick fix or throw an AC controller on the vac.

Xmas has been kind here too but our xmas doesn't end until about 20th of January when we get further south.
That's the only problem living in BFN LOL.

DangerToMyself

Now that is a bargain !
Once you have it hooked up and manage to stop vacuuming the whole house long enough to check the bucket and your vac filter you will see how neat these things are.

There are some "tweaks" you can make for other uses but I will let you google "hydrocyclone"
PS don't be scared by the bucket doing a small amount of collapse and sudden loud noises... small adjustments to the vac flow rates on the input side are a quick fix or throw an AC controller on the vac.

Xmas has been kind here too but our xmas doesn't end until about 20th of January when we get further south.
That's the only problem living in BFN LOL.

I've heard about the "collapsing bucket" issue and have read that inserting the bucket into another bucket solves that problem. This may be the reason the DD comes with 2 buckets (along with one being for mounting the wheels to). The fan I ordered has a speed adjustment as well. I'm sure it's not the greatest fan going and won't last too awfully long. But looking to use it as a proof of concept  until it craps out. Then I'll drop some $ on a good one. The fan my buddy has is  a sub 100 cfm booster fan. So, I ordered one that claims over 400 cfm. Not that I believe that number. I don't need to lift bowling balls with the suction. So as long as it pulls dust from the CNC work area, I'll be happy.

I'm designing a box to house the fan and a micro filter that will also reduce the noise level. It will also have a gate valve so that I can switch it to blow outside when I need to vent fumes such as those from using a laser (eventually!). Or I can just have it blow out into the room as to not pump my heat outside over a 4 hour or longer run.

So far, it's been a fun project for me. It and the Z axis redesign for the larger spindle have kept me from getting into trouble during my free time!

ballscrewbob

Pics of the Z mods ?

Some of the small cloth vac bags make darned good filters for the ultra fine dust.
There are also the hepa filters some of which adapt great to plumbing pipes ( don't ask how I know that  :smiley-twist: )
As for heat loss I find it negligible in the house.

Garage well not the best insulation there to start with and having sat a turkey on top of the fridge in there to defrost and ending up having to do some emergency defrosting in the bathtub in time for dinner when I brought it in so we could get the nasty bits out of it should be enough of a clue.

DangerToMyself

Dec 27, 2019, 05:17 am Last Edit: Dec 27, 2019, 05:19 am by DangerToMyself
Pics of the Z mods ?

Some of the small cloth vac bags make darned good filters for the ultra fine dust.
There are also the hepa filters some of which adapt great to plumbing pipes ( don't ask how I know that  :smiley-twist: )
As for heat loss I find it negligible in the house.

Garage well not the best insulation there to start with and having sat a turkey on top of the fridge in there to defrost and ending up having to do some emergency defrosting in the bathtub in time for dinner when I brought it in so we could get the nasty bits out of it should be enough of a clue.

The Z mods are still in the design phase. But basically it's an enlarged version of the 3-D plastic bits only in seasoned oak. It will be a bit wider (90mm to match the mount that came with the motor), quite a bit taller so I can mill whatever will fit under the bottom of the Z, and a bit deeper due to the larger motor. I figure, if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it the way it should have been done to begin with.

Where you use bags, I have a shop vac filter. Basically, it's a box with three chambers. Air enters the first via the hose from the cyclone where it will have to go through the shop vac filter. Second chamber holds the fan which blows out into the third through a muffler, if I can call it that. Still waiting for the fan to arrive to finalize the plans for the box.

Here is a pic from a screen cap I did shortly after putting the idea into FreeCad. It's changed somewhat. But the idea is there.

Should end up about 13"x13"x36" and mount to the bottom of my bench.

ballscrewbob

Yea the muffler part is missing from all mine.
But seeing yours gives me an idea and I do wish you would stop planting seeds in my head.
Got enough weeds growing up there without any more.  :smiley-lol:

DangerToMyself

Dec 29, 2019, 01:26 am Last Edit: Dec 29, 2019, 01:27 am by DangerToMyself
I got to messing with my machine again today. Fired it up and noticed a lot more vibration than usual. I think one (or both) of the bearings in the spindle are going out. Stuck a 30 degree 0.1 engraver in it and ran a very slow (30mm/m) 0.1mm deep line down a scrap piece of PCB. In a perfect world, it would have produced a very small and neat line. But the result was a line nearly 1mm wide. I fiddled with the collet thinking it could be the issue. Same result. I'm hoping it will still be close enough to machine a temporary guide block for the new spindle.

A bit disappointed even though I really shouldn't be. I mean, I did manage to get a good 7 or 8 hours out of this motor.

How's that "idea" coming along? (I would say I'm sorry. But I'm not :D)

Go Up