Go Down

Topic: Arduino DDS Sinewave Generator (Read 70943 times) previous topic - next topic

koldby

Nov 12, 2019, 01:57 pm Last Edit: Nov 12, 2019, 02:03 pm by koldby
45-150 is in the interval 0-1025 - what's the problem?
If you can't do the simple arithmetic, use the "map()" function.

Code: [Select]
int ledPin = 13;                 // LED pin 7 What's that?

PROGMEM const byte sine256[] = Remind me again what you wrote about in reply #86?

Now do you see why we ask you to post your code?
Otherwise, it's just time-wasting - like I said, noobs make inadvertent errors.
 I'm sorry if that offends you, but that's how it is.
I f you look closely , you will see that it was NOT the problem. I did NOT make any errors in the code and I DID say that it compiled correctly. The only error I made , was when I explained what I did , so the code worked, noob or not, no errors in my code. It would´t have compiled then would it ??????

My question at that time, after I , without any help, had solved the problems in the original code, was how to change the frequency range.
And if you do not understand why I want to do that, I am sorry for you. Of course it is included in 0-1023 Hz.
It would also be included in 0-10 Mhz but that would worsen the situation (hint).....

I do not know what the line:
int ledPin = 13;                 // LED pin 7 What's that?

is, but it is in the original code..
Again I have NOT changed anything in the original code , except for the line I have already mentioned...

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

Nov 12, 2019, 02:24 pm Last Edit: Nov 12, 2019, 02:33 pm by TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL
Let's have a little game of spot-the-difference, shall we?

A little "If you look closely", if you will...

From your reply #75
the line:

PROGMEM  prog_uchar sine256[]  = {

Should be:

PROGMEM  prog_uchar sine256[]  =
{
And now the code from the code you attached (Lord knows why; you could have posted it)
PROGMEM const byte sine256[] =

Like I said, noobs make mistakes, and don't realise how a simple transcription error can cause so many problems and misunderstanding.

I genuinely do not understand why you cannot use the map function to change the frequency range.

It would also be included in 0-10 Mhz but that would worsen the situation (hint).....
Using a cheap, simple DDS device like an AD9850, you could handle that entire range (and more) with better than Hz/20 resolution.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

koldby

You are really slow , are you not? The only error I made was in the post where I explained what I had done. That was a typo. NOT IN THE CODE!

And , I do know you have to be careful, when you type , I was raised with DOS computers...

As I said, I was uncertain if it was the right procedure to attach the code or just include it in the text. A long code would take up a lot of space if it was just included in the text, but, no problem , I will include it in the text, if there ever will be a next time.

Maybe I can use the map() funktion, but I am not familiar with it and I would have to look into it to see how it works.
I thought maybe there could be an easier way. For instance changing the "initial output frequency"  dfreq as this is used to calculate the new frequency:
 dfreq=1000.0;                    // initial output frequency = 1000.o Hz
  tword_m=pow(2,32)*dfreq/refclk;  // calulate DDS new tuning word

Maybe I can use the map() funktion, but I am not familiar with it and I would have to look into it to see how it works.

...which is why I provided you with a useful link to the reference.

I was raised with DOS computers..
Like I said, a noob.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

koldby

Oh yes I am a noob when it comes to Arduino stuff, as I have said before, no doubt about that.

Apparently the map() function is not precise enough for my purpose.

koldby

Never mind. I cannot use this Sine wave generator. It is not stable enough. It jumps in frequency, even with a two resistor divider at the input (analog 0) and a very low noise PS (LifePo4 batteries). Even my dirty old Heathkit signal generator is more stable that this. And it is nut drift, it si jumping, rather randomly, you can even see it on a scope.

Thanks for help and support.

cattledog

//dfreq=analogRead(0);
dfreq = 100;

If you replace this analogRead() line with a fixed value is the output stable?

Never mind. I cannot use this Sine wave generator. It is not stable enough. It jumps in frequency, even with a two resistor divider at the input (analog 0) and a very low noise PS (LifePo4 batteries). Even my dirty old Heathkit signal generator is more stable that this. And it is nut drift, it si jumping, rather randomly, you can even see it on a scope.

Thanks for help and support.
The Analog Devices DDS devices will show your antique Heathkit what stability is all about.

koldby

//dfreq=analogRead(0);
dfreq = 100;

If you replace this analogRead() line with a fixed value is the output stable?
Good point! Thanks...
Yes the output is a rockstable 100 Hz.
So the conclusion must be, as far as I can see it, either the voltage divider is not steady enough or the "analogRead" function is not steady enough. I have measured the voltage with a pretty precise VDM and did not see any correlated jump in the voltage @ analog 0 input. The pin is decoupled with a 10uF , so noise should not be an issue either...

Thanks for the positive and helpful input

Go Up