Go Down

Topic: ONVIF protocol (Read 682 times) previous topic - next topic

davida3

I have an ESP32 CAM with RTSP video output. My NVR does not allow direct entry of RTSP address, it only detects address from ONVIF protocol. Is it possible to implement basic ONVIF protocol on ESP32?
Thanks

Robin2

Perhaps you can explain what RTSP, NVR and ONVIF mean ?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

davida3

Perhaps you can explain what RTSP, NVR and ONVIF mean ?

...R
RTSP - Real Time Streaming Protocol - stream with video from the camera
 - example for ESP32 CAM: https://github.com/geeksville/Micro-RTSP
NVR - Network video recorder - a device for recording video streams from IP cameras
ONVIF - Open Network Video Interface Forum - standard for IP cameras

Robin2

Oct 30, 2019, 10:14 am Last Edit: Oct 30, 2019, 10:16 am by Robin2
At least now I know that I can't help. And it does not seem as if your questions are "Arduino" questions.

Keep in mind that the ESP8266 and the ESP32 are not Arduino products. People have just hijacked the Arduino IDE to make an easy-to-use platform for programming them.

I suspect a Forum that deals with video streams and video recording would be more likely to have an answer. Or a Forum that deals with ESP devices such as the ESP8266 Forum (I know it has some ESP32 stuff).

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

jremington

Oct 30, 2019, 05:27 pm Last Edit: Oct 30, 2019, 05:39 pm by jremington
Is it possible to implement basic ONVIF protocol on ESP32?
Yes. Packets sent over the network.

davida3

Yes. Packets sent over the network.
Can you please explain it?

jremington

Oct 31, 2019, 04:16 pm Last Edit: Oct 31, 2019, 05:39 pm by jremington
If you are planning to implement a standard protocol, in all cases you must obtain and carefully study the official protocol specifications.

If you wish to share the code you write, it should conform to those specifications.

gr0b

I am in the same boat as you @davida3

I have a few ESP32 cameras and have RTSP/JPG streaming working but now looking onto the ONVIF part. In the process of having a look around to see if anyone else has already solved this before I have a crack at it.

I was thinking that as the ONVIF interface looks to be a simple web interface that servers up a configuration interface, most importantly the URI of the RTSP stream so it should not be too hard to just mock up.
For testing I was going to see if I could just dump/clone the Onvif from a device and then just rehost it updating only a few values like steam URI and see if that works (may not even have to be on the same device).

I did have a concern that my NVR my not support the device as the stream is JPG encoded instead of h.264

Go Up