Go Down

Topic: What software to use? (Read 651 times) previous topic - next topic

rookiecnc

Oct 31, 2019, 02:33 am Last Edit: Oct 31, 2019, 02:34 am by rookiecnc
I am new to this arena of CNC and Laser engravers. A couple weeks ago I purchased a Mophorn 3018. Once I finally had it assembled, I was looking forward to using it with a lot of excitement. I installed the software it came with and to make a long story short, it did not work. The software was GRBL Controller for the CNC and Engraver Master for the laser. After multiple emails back and forth with the seller, we did a video call and the supplier installed Laser Engraver 3.0 and Candle (which is supposed to be an upgraded version of GRBL Controller). Candle performs well, but operates about an inch above the material even after giving it a starting point .1 mm above the material. So needless to say it doesn't engrave anything. As for Laser Engraver 3.0, well it lets me get to preview outline and then gives me an error message saying the program is not working and has to close.

So, before I give up on my desire to make some really cool Christmas gifts for my family, which is why I bought this thing, I figured I would see if anyone could offer some suggestions for some reliable working software. Please keep in mind, I am looking for simple, which I'm finding may not necessarily be possible with this, I am not trying to make an income from this, just make some gifts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Attention - Scewballbob

zwieblum

If you want a CNC machine, go to http://linuxcnc.org - but til christmas hardly enough time to learn the basics.

Robin2

Oct 31, 2019, 10:33 am Last Edit: Oct 31, 2019, 10:34 am by Robin2
So, before I give up on my desire to make some really cool Christmas gifts for my family, which is why I bought this thing, I figured I would see if anyone could offer some suggestions for some reliable working software.
You will likely get more useful advice on a CNC Forum. This Arduino Forum is mainly about helping people write their own Arduino programs.

There are also dozens of YouTube videos about the Chinese 3018 CNC machines. I have one myself but I have not completed assembling it. I have a smaller 1610 and it worked straight out of the box - I expect the 3018 will also work.

LinuxCNC is not relevant for your machine.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

rookiecnc

Robin2, thank you for your response. Is there a CNC forum you would recommend?

Robin2

Is there a CNC forum you would recommend?
Sorry - if there was, I would have.

The RepRap Forum deals with 3D printing and there are some parallels with Arduino-based CNC control.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up