Go Down

Topic: Protecting Arduino from car voltage? (Read 185 times) previous topic - next topic

tommydog

I am using an ATtiny85 to detect voltage on the analogue pin from an ignition live in a car.  It is wired up via a piggyback fuse from the cars fuse box.  When the ATtiny85 detects a voltage from the ignition live it turns an LED on.  This all works perfectly, and all I am using is this connected directly to the ATtiny85:

Arduino 25v DC Input Voltage Sensor Module Tester Board DC001
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arduino-25v-DC-Input-Voltage-Sensor-Module-Tester-Board-DC001/223529777639?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The problem is I have read various forum posts of people saying that voltage regulators are needed to avoid frying the Arduino. The thing is, my setup seems pretty stable.  I have checked everything with a volt meter while reving the engine etc and seem to get a pretty constant 12v.  So should I really bother with a regulator etc?  This would involve added work / complexity, so if it's not needed I would rather not use it.  What are peoples opinions on this?

DVDdoug

Nov 01, 2019, 06:06 pm Last Edit: Nov 01, 2019, 06:13 pm by DVDdoug
I've got an Arduino running in a vehicle (for a couple of years) and I'm just using the Arduino's built-in regulator.

I have checked everything with a volt meter while reving the engine etc and seem to get a pretty constant 12v.
It's supposed to be about 14.4V when charging, but the "issue" is potential short-term spikes that your meter won't show.

SteveMann

The ATtiny85 uses the MC78M05B regulator. The MC78M05B Data Sheet rates the input voltage of 5-18V.

I am usually so far out of the box that most people don't know what I am talking about.

Please do not ask for help by PM. I will not respond.
If you need help, post a question on the appropriate forum.
Click on Add Karma if I helped you.

gilshultz

You are correct in assuming you need protection.  NOTE: Load-dump protection devices protect sensitive semiconductors in electronic modules used for battery charging against load-dump surges which are caused when a discharged battery is disconnected from the alternator while the alternator is generating current. There is also the 24 Volt double battery jump and assume it will be connected backwards.
For me the simplest solution would be to replace the regulator.  You can search for"load dump protected regulator" you will find out there are many.
Good Luck and Have Fun!
Gil
This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

Go Up