Go Down

Topic: MKR GPS Shield bug in Header? (Read 707 times) previous topic - next topic

re-st

Hello everyone,

i just wanted to test the GPS Shield and the MKR 1310 WAN. But there is a problem. It does only work in I2C-mode with the cable. It does not work on top of the Arduino, using it as a shield.
I used the example from the homepage an changed the GPS.begin() to GPS.begin(GPS_MODE_SHIELD). But the sensor does not get inizialized. You can delete the ! or not. There is no change. even if the shield is not mounted, there is no error „Failed to initialize GPS!". The header must be wrong.

See here: Used example

Code: [Select]

if (!GPS.begin()) {
    Serial.println("Failed to initialize GPS!");
    while (1);
  }

When you look in the header, something is missing for the proper use of the shield-mode.

Can somebody help oder can somebody tell me, how to contact the writer of the header.

I realy need this to work for a studentproject.

Best regards

Stefan

paulwhitby

I have the GPS working as a shield. Might I suggest you check you have the latest version of Arduino IDE, and all the libraries, and also, if you soldered the headers onto the GPS board, check your soldering?

I just used one of the example sketches to prove it worked, with a little extra status check

void setup() {
  // initialize serial communications and wait for port to open:
  Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial) {
    ; // wait for serial port to connect. Needed for native USB port only
  }

// If you are using the MKR GPS as shield, change the next line to pass
  // the GPS_MODE_SHIELD parameter to the GPS.begin(...)
  if (!GPS.begin(GPS_MODE_SHIELD)) {
    Serial.println("Failed to initialize GPS!");
    while (1);
  }
  else Serial.println("GPS Ready");
}

Go Up