Go Down

Topic: Change to How To Use theForum ? (Read 5237 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Nov 27, 2019, 12:09 am Last Edit: Nov 27, 2019, 12:29 am by ballscrewbob
Latest incarnation below with a typo fix and a couple of minor additions.
Not rolled it out yet so if anyone has any suggestions (besides the rude ones)
Also attached it as a code sample for anyone who wants to CP parts for thier own use.

Please
READ THIS POST to help you get the best out of the forum.

SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING.

These steps may also save you some unnecessary time and effort in the forum.

• Always provide as much detail as possible to your issue it may be important.
  • If applicable provide your SKETCH inside CODE TAGS ( </> ) or a CREATE share link.
  • If applicable provide a schematic even if hand drawn.
  • How to insert a picture into your post
  • If applicable provide a proper LINK to the hardware / sensors etc. you are using.

COMMON ISSUES
  • Check you have a COMMON GROUND where required.
  • Where possible use USB 2.0 ports or a USB 2.0 POWERED HUB to rule out USB 3.0 issues.
  • Try other computers where possible.
  • Try other USB leads where possible.
  • You may not have the correct driver installed. CH340/341 or CP2102
  • There may be a problem with the board check your wiring first.
  • Remove any items connected to pins 0 and 1.

COMPUTER RELATED
  • Ensure you turn off any additional security / antivirus just to test.
  • There may be a problem with the PC try RESTARTING it.
  • You may be selecting the wrong COM port.
  • Avoid cloud/network based installations where possible OR ensure your Network/Cloud software is RUNNING.
  • Clear your browsers CACHE.
  • Close the IDE before using any other serial programs.
  • Preferably install IDE's as ADMINISTRATOR or your OS equivalent

Performing the above actions may help resolve your problem without further help.

Bob.

Code: [Select]
[b]
Please[/b][url=https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=148850.0] READ THIS POST[/url] [b]to help you get the best out of the forum.[/b]

[b]SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING.[/b]

[u][b]These steps may also save you some unnecessary time and effort in the forum.[/b][/u]
[list]
[li]Always [url=https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=148850.0]provide as much detail as possible[/url] to your issue it may be important.[/li]
[li]If applicable provide your SKETCH inside CODE TAGS ([b] </>[/b] ) or a [url=https://create.arduino.cc/]CREATE[/url] share link.[/li]
[li]If applicable provide a schematic even if hand drawn.[/li]
[li]How to [url=https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=519037.0]insert a picture[/url] into your post[/li]
[li]If applicable provide a proper LINK to the hardware / sensors etc. you are using.[/li]
[/list][b]COMMON ISSUES[/b]
[list]
[li]Check you have a [url=https://circuitdigest.com/sites/default/files/circuitdiagram_mic/Circuit-diagram-for-Controlling-Multiple-Servo-Motors-with-Arduino.png]COMMON GROUND[/url] where required.[/li]
[li]Where possible use USB 2.0 ports or a USB 2.0 POWERED HUB to rule out USB 3.0 issues.[/li]
[li]Try other computers where possible.[/li]
[li]Try other USB leads where possible.[/li]
[li]You may not have the correct driver installed. [url=http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html]CH340/341[/url] or [url=https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers]CP2102[/url][/li]
[li]There may be a problem with the board check your wiring first.[/li]
[li]Remove any items connected to pins 0 and 1.[/li]
[/list][b]COMPUTER RELATED[/b]
[list]
[li]Ensure you turn off any additional security / antivirus just to test.[/li]
[li]There may be a problem with the PC try RESTARTING it.[/li]
[li]You may be selecting the wrong COM port.[/li]
[li]Avoid cloud/network based installations where possible OR ensure your Network/Cloud software is RUNNING.[/li]
[li]Clear your browsers CACHE.[/li]
[li]Close the IDE before using any other serial programs.[/li]
[li]Preferably install IDE's as ADMINISTRATOR or your OS equivalent[/li]
[/list]
[i][u]Performing the above actions may help resolve your problem without further help.[/u][/i]

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

*  Close the IDE before using any other serial programs.
Suggest also include this line (it is something I regularly forget and then wonder why the IDE can't connect to upload)

* And close any other serial programs before opening the IDE

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Nov 30, 2019, 06:16 pm Last Edit: Nov 30, 2019, 06:17 pm by ballscrewbob
Latest revision.

Please

SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING.

• If applicable provide your SKETCH inside CODE TAGS ( </> ) or a CREATE share link.
  • If applicable provide a proper LINK to the hardware / sensors etc. you are using.

COMMON ISSUES
  • Where possible use USB 2.0 ports or a USB 2.0 POWERED HUB to rule out USB 3.0 issues.

COMPUTER RELATED
  • close any other serial programs before opening the IDE.
  • Avoid cloud/network based installations where possible OR ensure your Network/Cloud software is RUNNING.

Arduino specific boards

Language problem ?
Try a language closer to your native language:

Performing the above actions may resolve your problem without further help.

Many thanks to all those who helped and added to this list.

Bob.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

I know it is nit-picking but I think the line

should go above the language section - i.e. before the line

Language problem ?

...R

PS ... I got well paid for this sh*t for over 35 years  :)
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Yes you are correct it should go there.
I c/p'd the language options in from another source.

btw also written a lot of company documentation too
Never really got paid well for it though.

Bob.

ballscrewbob

Please

SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING.

COMMON ISSUES

COMPUTER RELATED

Arduino specific boards

Language problem ?

Many thanks to all those who helped and added to this list.

Bob.

ballscrewbob

Dec 06, 2019, 08:05 am Last Edit: Dec 06, 2019, 08:06 am by ballscrewbob
Ok this was the final version. that was rolled out.
Sorry about the extra emails Robin (sly giggle)

-----------------------------------------

Could you take a few moments to READ THIS.
It will help you get the best out of the forum.

COMMON ISSUES

COMPUTER RELATED

Arduino specific boards
  • CH340/341 based clones do not report useful information to the "get board info" button.
  • NANO (Old Types) some require you to use the OLD BOOTLOADER option.
  • NANO (New Types) See the specific sections lower in the forum.
  • NANO (New Types) Install your board CORE's.
  • Unless using EXTERNAL PROGRAMMERS please leave the IDE selection at default "AVRISP mkII".

CREATE editor install locations.
  • On macOs ~/Applications/ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1/ArduinoCreateAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/config.ini
  • On Linux ~/ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1/config.ini
  • On Windows C:\Users[your user]\AppData\Roaming\ArduinoCreateAgent-1.1

Performing the above actions may help resolve your problem without further help.

Language problem ?

Thanks to all those who helped and added to this list.

Bob.

Robin2

Bob, you seem to have replaced Nick Gammon's text with yours here or example.

It means that we no longer have a section about "How to use the Forum - explaining the use of the Code button, no hijacking etc (I can't recall exactly what was in it).

Instead we have a "How to solve your Arduino problem" section which (incidentally) no longer has anything much of Nick Gammon's).

I feel strongly that both are needed. Maybe the "How to use ..." text could benefit from updating and if so I will be happy to help if you make it available.

...R

PS ...The tips we discussed in this Thread should be published under your name - not Nick Gammon's.

ballscrewbob

I only replaced the "shortform" versions of Nicks Robin.
Was also in two minds about using Nicks name so I will delete and replaces those posts.

I left the LONG FORM versions alone and link directly to his long form in the first line.
In some places just tagged the new one as a last post where needed under my name.

All valid points and will be acted on.

Thanks.

Bob.

Robin2

I left the LONG FORM versions alone and link directly to his long form in the first line.
In some places just tagged the new one as a last post where needed under my name.
Sorry - I think I overlooked the link in these lines

Could you take a few moments to READ THIS.
It will help you get the best out of the forum.

May I continue to nitpick. When I glance at READ THIS it seems to be asking me to read the page I am looking at rather than asking me to go to another page (even though it is a clickable link).

Perhaps it would be more obvious if it was like this

If you take a few moments to read the How To Use the Forum page it will help you get the best out of the forum.

...R

ballscrewbob

Just a cotton picking nit picking moment...  :smiley-lol:

Will take a peek at your suggestion Robin but I think you are just after another bout of emails...Maybe a fetish ?  ;D  :smiley-lol:  :smiley-twist:

Robin2

but I think you are just after another bout of emails...
I don't understand?

I don't believe I said anything about emails - and I certainly don't want any :)

...R

pert

Hi ballscrewbob. Here is a forum thread that might be relevant:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=652580
It looks like the Displays board has a "General Guidance." topic, but no "How to use this forum - please read." topic. Would you mind taking a look at that?

pert

Note that they are concerned that links to that topic are now broken. If it was accidentally deleted, I would recommend moving it back to Displays from the Recycle Bin, rather than creating a new topic. I believe by moving it back it will retain the original URL and restore the functionality of the links.

ballscrewbob

Its the language links that seem to be down.

I will look at them.

Go Up