Go Down

Topic: Is there even working software for the esp8266 and the UNO? (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic

paai

Hi all.

In itself there is nothing wrong with the esp8266. I have a number of projects based on the WEMOS boards and they all work as advertised. No problems there.

The small esp8266 modules that can be combined with e.g., the UNO is a different story. If you look on the diverse fora and bulletin boards, there are tens of thousands of threads on this combination. Mostly of exasperated users like me, who observe that, yes, they work with full moon when Aquarius is in the sky, but exactly the same sketch refuses the next day. Yes, perhaps you should tweak your timing, add a delay() here or take away a delay() there. And for gods sake, if you have a working sketch, do not dare to change a single line or add a single function elsewhere in the program, for it will certainly stop working!

So you trawl the internet for yet another example of a 'working' sketch that as surely will fail when you try to adjust it to your wishes?

Or you have flashed the wrong software. So you flash a different one (and there are many different downloads - too many) , but suddenly it seems that the esptool that yesterday recognized all your modules, today won't work. Perhaps tomorrow.

Or use a different SoftwareSerial library. But I have already three or four Software libraries in the thee which all subtly seem to differ from each other. Or a different library alltogether. Which one, and should I install it straight from github or let the Arduino environment handle that for me? There are differences there too.

I am certain that many of you recognize this state of affairs.

From the bottom of my heart I ask you: is there somewhere a simple gold-standard sketch for the UNO-esp8266 combo that lets me download a very simple webpage or serve a similar simple webpage out as a server? One that works and keeps working as long as you don't mess with the webfunctions themselves?

Paai

Juraj

my new WiFiEspAT library. but only with AT 1.7.x (SDK 3) and without SSL yet.

or WiFiLink firmware and library

Robin2

From the bottom of my heart I ask you: is there somewhere a simple gold-standard sketch for the UNO-esp8266 combo that lets me download a very simple webpage or serve a similar simple webpage out as a server? One that works and keeps working as long as you don't mess with the webfunctions themselves?
You need to describe in a lot more detail the relative roles of the Uno and the ESP8266, including which variety of ESP8266 you are working with.

You say you have projects that work with the Wemos boards. I would generally expect the same program to work on an ESP8266 module, and if so, I don't understand what role you enivsage for the Uno.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

paai

@Robin: The Wemos boards work just fine. And I like the OTA possibilities of the stand-alone esp8266.

But for one of my projects I need the Adafruit fingerprint library, and that library has problems with the Wemos. That is why I reverted to the esp8266-UNO combo. In that other thread where we discussed my problems, I stated that this specific combo was the Elecrow espduino, that is essentially an UNO with an esp8266-12 tacked on it, driven by the SoftwareSerial library.

Other combos like the UNO plus a separate esp8266-01 were even more unstable.

@Jura, I will try your library this week. If it works, come to Holland and I'll keep you in beer and chips for your stay.

Paai

Robin2

I stated that this specific combo was the Elecrow espduino, that is essentially an UNO with an esp8266-12 tacked on it, driven by the SoftwareSerial library.
I have no idea what an Elecrow espduino is or how the Uno is tacked on to the ESP8266.

What program is running on the ESP8266?
What program is running on the Uno?

Is it the case that you must connect the fingerprint scanner to an Uno? If so surely you can link that Uno to a Wemos device that you are already familiar with?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up