Go Down

Topic: continuous rotation servo motor (360º) turned 180º (Read 87 times) previous topic - next topic

Colorambal

Hi. I would like to know about the operation of a digital servo motor, specifically the MG966r model.
My concern is that you can manually move the output axis of the servo motor in 360º. but electronically using a controller the servo only has a 180º turn range (-90 to 90º from point 0).

So, how is the servomotor electronics configured? What is used to perform this configuration?

I will be attentive to your answers

slipstick

What controller have you tried it with? If Arduino what code did you use?

A continuous rotation servo cannot be positioned at all. The control signal  only changes the speed and direction of rotation. If your servo is really positioned from 0 - 180 degrees then it is a standard servo and NOT the continuous rotation version. The MG996R is available in both versions

Steve

herbschwarz

A standard servo has a potentiometer attached
to its output shaft so the circuitry "knows" where
the shaft located, 0 to 180 degrees rotation. When
a command to move is received, the circuit sends
the motor to rotate in the correct direction. It then
checks to see if the destintion has been reached.
I hope this answers your question.
Herb

Idahowalker

Hi. I would like to know about the operation of a digital servo motor, specifically the MG966r model.
My concern is that you can manually move the output axis of the servo motor in 360º. but electronically using a controller the servo only has a 180º turn range (-90 to 90º from point 0).

So, how is the servomotor electronics configured? What is used to perform this configuration?

I will be attentive to your answers
When the servo motor is off, I, normally, can turn them 360 degrees, and when power is on the servo motor is a ~180 degree thing; that's the normal operation.

There are servos that turn 180, or 270, or 360 degrees. There are servos that use plastic gears and there are servos that use metal gears. The plastic geared servos wear out after about 7ish days of continuous operation, well mine did, and I got 2 metal geared servos that have been running 24/7 for 13 months under continuous torque adjustments.

On the other hand, to start looking under the hood here is a link that might interest you https://medium.com/@aleclombardo/modifying-a-servo-motor-for-analog-feedback-b1cca818181f

Go Up